20 gallon of death...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
So, I lost a few males then female Bettas in this tank. I cleared them all out, cleaned the tank & later over two days, moved in Platy. 30 total originally, but now down to 5-7(3 days later)! :eek:mg:I acclimated them, let them calm after catching them, but still, they died like flies! Tank is showing 0's for Ammo, Nitrite, Nitrate, stable heat. So wtf!?!
I wanted this tank to be a breeding tank(now it will be a plant tank), but I can't do that if this tank really is a Tank of Death!
Noticed two Platy have clear, white, long poo. They really haven't eaten in a few days, not sure if that's the reason.
Anyway, anything I can do short of tossing everything and w/e I want to keep, soaking it in Chlorine??

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
No, it's a newish tank.
Yea, I did it over 2 days, but it was a little too much. Levels stayed the same, I did 5gal w/c 2x a day usually too.

Weird update. The 8 I think, Platy were swimming around this morning before lights on time! I was amazed. They all looked dead last night. I haven't done a w/c yesterday, so I will leave them be as much as possible to let them keep getting adjusted.
Maybe the catching was way too much stress and then the new tank didn't have enough hiding spots...+ bad luck. >.<

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I agree, way to many fish in a tank. I am guessing your test kit is off. What are you using? Liquid test kit or strip? I am leaning towards 2 things.

Bad stock - Clear long white poo can mean parasites.
overcrowding of tank - 20 platties in a 20 gallon isn't smart that's way to many fish. So my guess is more towards the test kit is innacurate and you spiked the ammonia like crazy and killed them all.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
you could always use more oxygen! Try throwing in a air pump at least, and get some water reeeally circulating. Pick up a few zebra danios, and start recycling the tank. How long had the bettas been in there previously?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
you could always use more oxygen! Try throwing in a air pump at least, and get some water reeeally circulating. Pick up a few zebra danios, and start recycling the tank. How long had the bettas been in there previously?
Erm - bung more fish in an overcrowded uncycled tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store