Worst thing you've ever done to your fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Time to 'fess up guys and gals. Tell us about the worst things you've ever (unintentionally) done to your tanks and their hapless inmates.

Don't be shy... Whether it was that time you filled the living room with eau de fish poo because you forgot to clamp the lid on the canister filter down before starting it up, or the time you threw a mbuna in your first community tank 'cause the sales droid at the store told you it'd be fine, or that time you had one too many and confused your fishtank with a urinal, we've all had Homer Simpson moments (if you haven't, just wait, it'll happen sooner or later. :lol: ). Go ahead and share those "oops" stories so the rest of us can laugh at-er, with ;)-you.

-----
My two:

The worst thing I've done was subjecting my clown plec to winter in an unheated tank, in an unheated garage. I had torn down and mostly drained the tank that he was in, and netted all of the fish out. I removed all of the decorations and had it down to about 3" of water and I just could not find him anywhere. I figured he'd died and been eaten and set the tank out in the garage in late fall/early winter. He spent a few months out there with nighttime temperatures dropping into the low 40s before I got around to cleaning the tank, which is when I found him. Outside of being a little hungry he was none the worse for the wear. This was about 3 years ago, and he's still around.

The other one of mine was when I was about 15; I didn't get the gasket seated properly on my Eheim 2211. It seemed fine, I watched it run for about 5 minutes and there were no signs that anything was amiss. I left my room to go do other stuff only to come back about an hour later to the impeller rattling away and the motor housing popped completely off the canister. The better part of 10 gallons of water ended up all over the second floor of the house; fortunately for me, most of it went into my brother's room, but that didn't seem to make my parents any happier. :lol2:

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
I was gold mining and i accidently flicked a booger into the goldfish bucket. they ate it right up! :eek:

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I haven't done anything horrid to my fish, but I did get a mouth full of tank water when I was learning how to use the siphon.....

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
At the age of 8, the sales associate at a big box LFS advised me on my stocking for a 2.5 gallon tank I came home with 3 zebra danios, 1 neon tetra, a ADF and an adult angelfish.

I watched as my angelfish attacked my ADF. The ADF was eaten, but managed to claw out the majority of the angelfish's side.

FishVixen

DIY Addict
Jun 30, 2010
Richmond Va
I think the worst I did was when I was painting the inside of my house and forgot to tap down the plastic on the 10 gal tank. about 4 hours later all the fish were dead, The other tanks that I taped were fine.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i've gone 'a tad' longer than intended between water changes. kept a betta in a 1/2 gallon bowl. cycled 10 gallon tanks with single male bettas. left a dead snail in a tank for a day (no ammonia readings though).

BreezeRuehls

I own you
Mar 8, 2009
Virginia Beach
I was moving my Dojo into a sick tank and it got out of the container it was in, I tried to pick it up and ending up dropping it like 10X. It died, and I cried.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store