EcoSphere question - mass larvae extintion :-(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarEye

Registered Member
Jul 14, 2010
Hello (this is my first post :),

Last December I receved an EcoSphere as present. It contains algae and several shrimps (I believe of the species halocaridina rubra). It is sitting on a shelf in my office and it is receiving a reasonable amount of light. It has practically never been moved.

In April I noticed that one of the shrimps was ready to lay eggs (big black dots in the abdomen), and few weeks later the sphere was full of small larvae swimming rapidly in the water.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed that the walls of the sphere were quite dirty with algae deposited on the glass surface (cannot really tell the type of algae) and decided to clean it with the little magnet provided.

This operation released in suspension quite a lot of material.

This morning there were no larvae in the water any more, even though the adult were there as normal.

I am not sure if the cleaning operation has killed the larvae or they are just hiding somewhere.

What is your opinion? Help!
/Luca

Last edited:

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Yeah, they're probably hiding. I remember on one of my birthdays back in 2004 or 2003 I think I went to the Aquarium of the Pacific and they had those in the gift shop and I wanted one of those but my mom wouldn't let me buy one. Gooooood times. B-)

StarEye

Registered Member
Jul 14, 2010
Few of them survived. :) Two days later I can see at least two larvae swimming in the sphere. Before I counted approximately twenty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store