Would DIY CO2 serve any purpose in my 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
I am considering trying out DIY CO2 in the 55 gallon planted tank I have just started. It's got 128 watts of 6500K light from T8 bulbs. I'm using eco-complete. Right now I've got two small amazon swords that grew off of a larger sword I've got in my 20g; I've got corkscrew val; I've got some anacharis and some mare's tail, both of which will probably be removed once I get more plants that are more suited to what I'm trying to do.

I'd like to have a ground cover of some sort.

Would there be any point in adding DIY CO2 to this kind of setup? I've read in many places that DIY is not recommended for over something like 30 gallons; but I haven't really found information on why that is. Would doing the DIY CO2 not have any effect on plant growth at all? Or is it just that DIY isn't ideal for a larger tank?

Any help appreciated.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
DIY CO2 is better than no CO2. With that much light and not much CO2, you'll probably end up having an algae spike eventually.

With bigger tanks, it's really the cost that adds up. You're probably gonna be speing about $10 a month for the DIY CO2 supplies and before you know it, you've spent the same amount that you could have bough a pressurized system with.

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
With bigger tanks, it's really the cost that adds up. You're probably gonna be speing about $10 a month for the DIY CO2 supplies and before you know it, you've spent the same amount that you could have bough a pressurized system with.
In what way would I spend that much? What I was thinking of doing is the 2 liter soda bottle method. I know I've seen other methods of DIY but I don't know much about them yet. When you talk about supplies do you mean the cost of the yeast and such? Or soething else?

thanks!

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
In what way would I spend that much? What I was thinking of doing is the 2 liter soda bottle method. I know I've seen other methods of DIY but I don't know much about them yet. When you talk about supplies do you mean the cost of the yeast and such? Or soething else?

thanks!
I mean for supplies such as yeast and the sugar that you'll be needing. You will probably need more than 3 bottles of CO2. In a 55, I'd go with maybe 4 CO2 bottles to get a lot of CO2. You could then change one bottle everyweek so the CO2 is more consistent. It would probably cost you on average $10 plus the initial equipment cost.

Also, with DIY CO2, you really need a good diffuser. I find that powerheads positioned in the middle to the bottom of the tank will diffuse it better than if it's near the surface. The further it is to the bottom the longer the CO2 will be in the tank.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
CO2 always serves a purpose, however, DIY can do more harm than good on larger setups. Inconsistent CO2 levels wont fuel plant growth as much as algae (BBA). Plus, as Chris said, based on cost you would probably save in the long term with a pressurized setup.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Inconsistent CO2 levels wont fuel plant growth as much as algae (BBA).
This is also something to keep in mind. I had a black beard algea (BBA) outbreak as soon I started up both CO2 at the same time and fertilized. BBA strikes with inconsistent CO2 levels and especially low ones.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
If nothing is wrong at the moment, just keep searching for a deal. If you are starting to see some algae pop up in the mean time I would consider trying other things like lowering your lighting and/or upping water changes for the time being.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store