I love them, I love them not... what gives?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Sometimes, I am pretty much obsessed with my aquaria---as in "I want to start a fish rescue" obsessed. Other times, I lose interest to the point that I think I should get out of the hobby completely. (Don't worry---I still take care of basic maintenance. I could do better, but I don't just neglect my tanks.)

I'm not generally a flighty person, so this puzzles me greatly. What is the deal? Does this happen to anyone else?

vaine

AC Members
Apr 6, 2010
Metro-Detroit
Sometimes it takes it's toll or you feel like doing something else.
Don't leave cause usually when you come back, you come back big!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Same here. This is especially true with tanks that require somewhat high maintenance like a planted tank or marine tank. Sometimes you just get kind of burned out with them. I'm thinking of going back to just one tank, myself.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Hate to break the news to you but you just identified yourself as being "normal"!

I have had those times as well. I think it is just a portion of the hobby that isn't glamorous, exciting, interesting for a period of time. I had a hard time today trying to get enough motivation to do weekly maintenance. There are times I just don't want to be bothered with it. The feeling doesn't last long and soon I am back to puttering with everything.

Join the crowd!

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I feel the same way but maintaining 10 tanks, 3 snakes, a turtle and 2 leopard geckos can get a bit overwhelming. Bad part is I am currently setting up a 55 to transfer my leopard geckos to and transfer my shellies into their twenty long.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I was wondering the same thing about myself! Sometimes I get so into it and other times I'm just not that excited. Must be normal :)

FishVixen

DIY Addict
Jun 30, 2010
Richmond Va
With health and financial issues at times I tell myself it's not worth it. Then I think they really keep me going. They "force" me to get out of bed and stat my day. Which in my case is a good thing.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I'd say pretty normal. Right now, I am dragging myself to do water changes on three tanks. They are overdue, and I know it, so I am going to get to it.

Just watching my tanks on a day when I am really stressed makes the work worthwhile for me.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I agree with everyone who has posted in this thread so far. Sometimes I like keeping my aquariums, other times I don't. But I always end up regaining my interest in the hobby.

I am currently interested in my tanks.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
I went from a pet store like basement, to just one planted ten gallon:) I sold off alot of my larger tanks, and kept one 55 one 30, and a few odd sizes for QT ect, but i only have the one little ten up right now.

Thats down from i believe at highest count, it was 57 tanks...I needed the break, i was breeding and doing rescue. I am slowley heading back to the deeper end, starting to prep a 55 ..lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store