my new lawnmower

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

conbrio

AC Members
Nov 5, 2004
Mid TN
Well I might be nuts. My parents think so at least. I just bought my first home and since we needed a lawnmower I got one. It is a reel mower. No gas needed. The parents think I should have spent more money and got a self propelled gas mower.

Ordered it Thurs from amazon ($99 bucks) and got it today with free shipping. Put it together and started mowing. I like it so far. Lighter and quieter than a gas push mower and it does a good job.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm wanting to get one of these but our yard is kind of bumpy. Not sure how it would work. Is it difficult to push around?

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
They can be difficult on rough ground. But you can rent a weighted roller (assuming you have a truck) to even it out after a good rain or after a heavey watering.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
how often do you have to sharpen the blades?

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
We had one, but it never worked very well for us. It could not cut through the tough buckhorn, and the blades dulled so fast. It probably depends on the model though.

This is buckhorn, btw.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
They don't do so well with any weedy plants that send up very tall shoots. The plants just bend down and pop back up after the mower passes over them.

But, for a lawn in decent shape, a reel mower can do a very fine job. And I love the snick-snick-snick sound. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store