Sids and cories?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jencheung

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We just upgraded to a 50 gallon tank and have a school of 8 Sids (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki). Do Sids and cories get along? I'm thinking with more real estate at the bottom and the fact that Sids don't really spend as much time on the bottom as most other loaches do, I could use some more bottom feeders. I'm thinking Pandas or Axelrodi if I can find them. Alternatively I'm thinking about perhaps a small pleco, one that doesn't get above 4" or so. Would they be compatible? Thanks!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I housed a group of about 38 sids in a tank with 6 adult albino aeneus cories and some of their offspring. Sids and cories get along just fine. I had a heavily planted 55G for these guys. I'd go with the Axelrodi rather than the pandas and get at least 6 of them. If you get the chance, you can increase your sids group too. The more, the merrier. They do spend a fair amount of time on the bottom and they will root through the gravel for food as well. You could also house a small pleco in that tank. I would suggest a bristlenose which stays around 4", is peaceful, and will help to clean the surfaces of biofilm and soft algae....neither the cories nor the sids will do that.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I agree, I've never kept sids WITH corys but have kept both independently and don't see why housing them together would be an issue. My sids spend most of their time on the bottom unless food is involved. Sometimes they will take to schooling with my mid water fish (cherry barbs, harlequin rasboras) but it never lasts very long. I have an albino Ancistrus sp. with mine and he just keeps to himself anyways.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have a 46BF community tank with 9 sids and 11 corys (6 atropersonata, 3 sterbai, 1 orange laser and 1 aneus), and they get along fine. They have been in there for over 2 years. And, I also ave some 333s, 104s, and 240 plecos in there with them, and they all play nice together !! And some ottos (2 types) and a couple of farlos. And some sewellia lineolata, too !! Am I overstocked ? Dang right I am !! Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store