Questions about Velvet Disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gibbous

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
So I've had an outbreak of what I can only figure is velvet disease in my tank but I'm not sure about a couple things now that it seems to have run its course.

Basically how it happened was that I added a fish that appeared very healthy (and still does to this day) and a week or so afterward my other two fish started showing the typical signs of velvet and were dead within a couple days of the symptoms appearing. So here are the things I don't understand-

1) Can a fish be just a carrier of a disease like this and show no outward signs of having it? Like I said before, the fish that I added before this showed up in my tank is still alive a month later and has never appeared to be anything but completely healthy.

2) Given the answer to 1, how long should I be waiting and what precautions should I take before I can start to re-stock? I'd like to be able to treat the suspect fish in case it is carrying something, but in order to catch it I'm sure I'd have to pull everything out of my tank and I'd really like to avoid that if I can.

Thanks for any input.

*Edit* Whoops, just realized this should have gone in the disease forum. Mods, please move if desired...

Last edited:

Gibbous

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
I guess a 3rd question would be is it possible that the disease came in on coral and the fish that's still okay survived just by luck? I know I put some new frags in around the same time but don't remember exactly when...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
1.) Yes

2.) To be 100% certain, you'd likely need to remove all fish and treat them. Since the life cycle lasts for around 20 days, it'd be necessary to leave the tank fallow (without fish) for at least that period of time.

3.) If it is in an infected system with fish, then yes, it is entirely possible. See the above quarantine time.

Gibbous

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Thanks for the help Amph. It does seem strange to me that a fish could just carry such an aggressive disease without being affected, but what do I know...

I guess I'm going to have to set up a hospital tank and try to figure out a way to catch this guy. Having another tank available is probably something I should have done a while ago anyway, I've never QT'd my new fish in the past and got away with it up to this point. Too bad it took something like this for me to learn my lesson.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It's all good--we all have our stubborn streaks. You are right, unfortunately, in that it does often take something like this for us to learn. I've had my fair share of "I know I should've done this," or "I'm probably going to hate myself for this later."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store