Scale Loss in Pond Goldfish HELP!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anet54

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2010
Hi,
This is my first post, so will thank everyone in advance for ANY help you can give me.
I just noticed my wonderful old (at least 8 years) goldfish, Bubbles, has lost a large amount of scales on his/her right side. Bubbles is a very large goldfish: nearly 7 inches long and about 2 inches wide.
Bubbles has always lived in an outdoor pond, and has 4 other goldfish he shares his pond with.
I'm fairly observant, and keep a close eye on the fish, so this is a very recent phenomenon with Bubbles. I could see the scale lying at the bottom of the pond today.
He also seemed a little subdued. NOt his usual self. (He's actually very friendly.)
I can't see any kind of injury or redness where he's losing scales.
The pond is nice, clean, and protected. I use a rudimentary filtration system. It's a well-established pond (about 100 gallons, so not big) and there are no sharp edges in it. Everything seems to be very smooth and mossy under the water.
The other fish SEEM to be okay.
I live in Washington State and we've had a very weird spring/early summer, with cooler-than-normal temps. But Bubbles has weathered it all before, so don't think it's a factor.
I do remember a few years back that the other fish were chasing Bubbles around and I thought that maybe there was spawning going on, but haven't really noticed anything like that going on lately. (Although it's very possible. I'm not out there checking them every single day.)
I don't want to lose him, he's/she's such a great fishy.
Anyway, I need all the help I can get. I added some Stresscoat to the pond today, but don't know what else to do.
I've looked online and have heard about something called Myxosporidiosis (SP?), but don't know if this is what I'm dealing with.
Again, any suggestions will be gratefully listened to!
Thanks very much...

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Hi. Sorry to hear about your goldie. I don't do pond goldies, myself, but could you post a picture of the scale damage for those people who do? Maybe they would be better able to help diagnose the problem.

I do know that spawning can cause scale loss with goldfish in a tank, so I see no reason why this may not be the case in a small pond. It's usually the females who get the worst of it in spawning, because of the constant nudging. I know that I had to remove a Moor from the tank because she was just getting too beaten up from the pre-spawning chase.

Good luck with Bubbles. I hope that you will get some answers soon.

anet54

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for your concern and information! It's hard taking a photo, but I'll give it a try.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I know what you mean! Mine are nearly impossible to photograph too-- and they aren't even in a pond. Maybe if you try bribery with food, you could gently net her and get a photo (admittedly, this is a two person job) provided that it won't stress her out more.

I think if you could get a shot of the area that's damaged, someone on here will be able to help. Lupin is super with goldies and Mel20/20 is terrific with disease treatment, as are the hundreds of other supportive people on this network. Someone will come to your rescue soon, I'm sure!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store