aquaponics filter ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
so i've been thinking of building a mini aquaponics set up for a fish tank something sort of like a hang on back filter but much longer to grown plants in. my orifinal idea is to use a length of PVC with a converted HOB on it to provide water for it but still working out the plans in my head right now. the main problem im having is trying to figure out how to marry the HOB intake and motor to some type of encased long tube (or something else) that i can cut hole into to put the planter into and still have it act as a HOB. also the planter have to stay slight elevated above the water to the main part of the roots aren't always submerged (also planting cup isn't in the water).

i hope that made some type of sence i still working on the idea so could use some help and would love it if people have more engineering experience would chime in.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
GUNNER we need you to solve this problem...........If there is a way to do this he will know !

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Little confused, a picture would help.
So, you want a HOB to grow plants in? or not having the roots in the water?

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
Little confused, a picture would help.
So, you want a HOB to grow plants in? or not having the roots in the water?

sort of the where the plants are planted will be suspended above the water in baskets so that as there roots grow thay eventually reach into the water. baicly what i want to do is an easily portable aquaponics (basically hydroponics) set up for a fish tank. ill see if i can get a picture sketched up for you.

GUNNER we need you to solve this problem...........If there is a way to do this he will know !
i'm hoping i get his attention lol.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
you've heard of riparium hangers, right? Hydrophyte sells some nice ones, but you can make something similar or larger for your needs pretty easily. The only difference between those and what you're talking about is that the baskets are in the water. If you're set on having it out of the water, I would skip the hob. something like a 404 pump is probably a better fit for what you're talking about.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy

this was what i was thinking about

you've heard of riparium hangers, right? Hydrophyte sells some nice ones, but you can make something similar or larger for your needs pretty easily. The only difference between those and what you're talking about is that the baskets are in the water. If you're set on having it out of the water, I would skip the hob. something like a 404 pump is probably a better fit for what you're talking about.
mellow ripariums are closer actually to deep water hydroponics. the baskets i'm going to be using are the ones that you get at pet stores with plant planted in the roackwool. i was just thinking that these i can get for free baicly (work in a pet store) and slightly smaller so might fit better.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
the way I'd do that...

I'd get a hole saw that is the size of the planter cup, just below the lip of the cup, so that if you drill a hole with it, the cup slips in and sits on the edge of the hole. Then, I'd get a piece of 3" pvc tube and drill a row of holes in it. I'd plug the ends with screw in caps. Before plugging, I'd run a half inch spray bar along the inside top of the tube, pointing at the pots, and connect it through the cap to a pump. The pump can be in the tank or sump. I'd then drill a smaller hole and thread in a 1/2" hose barb, and use that as the return into the tank. It's essentially what's called a pipe garden. They're popular for growing tomatoes and other vegetables. If you want to get really fancy, I'd use square pvc fence post. It will allow your cups to seat more securely and will look really clean and nice

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
the way I'd do that...

I'd get a hole saw that is the size of the planter cup, just below the lip of the cup, so that if you drill a hole with it, the cup slips in and sits on the edge of the hole. Then, I'd get a piece of 3" pvc tube and drill a row of holes in it. I'd plug the ends with screw in caps. Before plugging, I'd run a half inch spray bar along the inside top of the tube, pointing at the pots, and connect it through the cap to a pump. The pump can be in the tank or sump. I'd then drill a smaller hole and thread in a 1/2" hose barb, and use that as the return into the tank. It's essentially what's called a pipe garden. They're popular for growing tomatoes and other vegetables. If you want to get really fancy, I'd use square pvc fence post. It will allow your cups to seat more securely and will look really clean and nice

i actually had thought about that but wanted to keep the pump out side of the tank that's why i thought up my current idea and to modify a HOB. also wanted it to be hung on the back of the tank and not seprit from the tank. thanks for the suggestion of the square PVC fence post had seen them but didn't know thay where fence posts.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store