College again after 20 years? Should I Start over?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Sorry for the long winded post. it turned into more than I had expected it to.

I started college in 1993; I graduated high school in 1990... Yeah I'm old.

Anyway, I was working full time, and taking classes at Purdue. After a short time, I was overwhelmed with school and work, so I dropped out of classes, and was working full time. I had a really good job when I was only about 20; I was a shipping/receiving supervisor in a tier one automotive manufacturing plant. After about 6 years, the company downsized, and I moved on...
I got a job making less money, and was in a jam, since I was used to making more, I had bills that I could barely afford to pay on my new salary, so I was forced to work all the hours I could, just to get by... After another 5 years, I moved on to a better job, making more money than I ever had before, and everything seemed to finally be back on track, except now I was pretty deep in debt, and was living on my own, but I was finally getting back on track...
Then about 2 years I unexpectedly lost that job, and was unemployed for about 3 months, and finally took a job making 40% of what I was previously making. and after only 15 months, that company moved to North Carolina, leaving most all of us behind.

So, now after 15 months on unsuccessful job hunting, I am at a loss of what I should be doing. I have applied for several positions similar to those I have had in the past, but since I do not have a degree, I feel that I am being overlooked, and my 20 years of experience is pretty much worthless. So I am left to ponder..

Should I settle for a BS job making Minimum wage, and start all over again? Should I go back to Purdue and try to get a degree to hopefully help me get the consideration I desire?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I come from a similar educational/employment background as yourself... I understand how you are feeling. Thankfully I am employed, although stuck in a dead end. This is such a difficult time with the economy, a lot of employers are picking the people with degrees (which I don't necessarily agree with as some people are ridiculously over-qualified, or lack the "business sense" that actual experience brings - but I digress).

As for advice, I'd look into financial aid and grants to go back to school. Supposedly our government is encouraging this, right? Not sure what your living situation is, but you'll have to weigh the cost of moving & paying rent/mortgage (if needed) in your plans. It's a big decision, for sure. While you're researching and considering, it wouldn't hurt to find whatever work you can - save up as much as possible, every dollar does help.

GOOD LUCK!! :thm:

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Zig, I'm voting for going back to school. If you can afford it in terms of time, money and investment, it will almost always pay off. Getting a degree will certainly open more doors to you, and none that are currently open because of your training or experience will be closed. Ultimately, that's all a degree does for you is open doors that were previously closed.

If you can do it and are willing to make the sacrifices it takes to complete a degree, I say go for it!

FishBliss

Detroit Airport - so COOL!
Oct 1, 2006
Peterborough, NH
"I'm old" he says. :lol2:

I figure you for under 40, which means you are barely ripe!

Look to your avatar for inspiration. Dr. Horrible had a goal. And he did not give up even though he (literally) hit the wall many times.

So far you have shown yourself to be flexible, energetic, willing to work hard when necessary, able to weigh alternatives -- such fantastic traits!

When I was in shoes similar to yours I kept looking for work and found some -- even though it was not the best job, it was a job and it gave me -some- money as well as some structure. I downsized the whole life style as far as I could (car, rent, etc) I also started attending college part time. It took me 6 years to complete the bachelor's degree I had started decades earlier. But I finished and felt good about it, more because I finally finished something that I had started and didn't have to feel like I had 'dropped out' all those years ago.

(I am paying student loans now -- small, but persistent -- that's ok, but it is another debt so consider that.)

I feel more secure knowing the degree is in my pocket. If you can afford it, there is no downside to more education.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Age is just a number.

It a measurement of how many time we traveled with this planet around the sun.

To many, Age is what gives us an edge over the others by the experinces we have had.

Best wishes,
Wes

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
First, go class of '90! Second, if there is some career you really want, going to college could be a great thing. But it's not a surefire winner, I don't think. Student loan debt can suck if you end up doing something unrelated to your degree when you're done.

I think finding a low paying/minimum wage job might be worth it, whether you end up going back to school or not.

Good luck.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
what are you thinking of going for, or finishing? You can always get a BS night job and go full time to school. You will get a lot of breaks from your loans and stuff while you are attending full time if i recall correctly. talk to a school or accountant about it.

It cant hurt to go back, so i say you should do it if you want to. Don't forget that 'non glorious' jobs can sometimes be the best bet for something else. i have a friend who is a mechanic for jeep...then the dealership closed, then GM somewhere else but he wasn't making any money so he started picking up side jobs fixing cars etc...he now quit his job and only does side jobs and makes more money.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
The amount of degree inflation where you live is something to consider...

As has been said, degrees are no guarantee that you'll get a job. It certainly makes you look more appealing to a potential employer, but if there are lots of college students where you live with fresh degrees, it may not necessarily impress. Do some number crunching and see what it would cost you to finish your degree (are your old credits even applicable?) and then seriously consider if that much more debt would be worth it to you.

As an in between to becoming a full time student/BS minimum wage earner, you might consider vocational school. No matter how bad the economy is, people still need electricians and carpenters.

I know it's easy to say "yeah man, do it, go back to school! right on!" but I've known several people with expensive BFAs, who can't find the jobs in universities and schools they were hoping for. Now some of them are looking into getting "fast track" degrees in IT and nursing just to pay the bills...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store