1970s VW bus pros/cons

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
I want to sell my car to get my dream vehicle, the VW bus. I like the 70s models with the bay window (I think that's what it's called). I know they have a weak engine, and there is no power steering. But what about AC/heat? Are there any other things I should know about before I decide?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I never saw one with AC and the heat is mediocre at best. They often developed oil leaks due to seals wearing out around the pushrod tubes. They steer easy and PS really isn't needed. The heat was forced air and most didn't have a blower until the late 70's.

There were a couple of different engines available for them; The upright engine was most common and the flat pancake engine was actually a porche engine but without the speed. There were some that were very gutsy. I had one in the late 70's in the US and also had one while stationed in Germany in the early to mid 70's.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
two suggestions 1) if you buy the VW keep your other car, 2) make sure to have a backup car if you by the VW. ;)

The VW bus was prone to rust, rust and more rust. the floor pans would rust out of the bottom of the car and basically your seat could fall onto the highway (with you in it) while the rest of the car kept going. They dont handle the greatest in the snow. and don't really expect to break 75 MPH. You don't need power steering in one of them, although at very slow speeds (i.e., parking) turning the wheel will be a little more difficult than in a power assist steering scenario.

The engines are stupid simple to repair. Make sure that it doesn't have a beetle engine installed because they will explode on you. With either engine make sure to change the oil often, make sure the drivers side of the engine gets enough cooling because the oil filter is in the way of a piston.

Anyway, buy the car and have a blast with it!!!!!!!! Iknow i would i f i had the cash

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Will you do all of your own repairs? If not, you may want to find a mechanic/shop who actually knows and works on those vehicles — and question them in detail about prices and time frames for various fixes — before getting one. Also, might want to consider that it will not have any of the safety devices you're used to such as ABS brakes, air bags, etc.

If you get it, post pics ... and enjoy!

prez06

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
greenville, nc
pros: its one of the coolest vehicles of all time, guaranteed to get compliments wherever you go.
cons: i've heard they are rather dangerous due to engine location, and other things, but hey.. the entire front end of my car is fiberglass from the windshield on up, so i can't really talk, lol. just gotta be careful and hope the drivers around you are the same.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
One BIGGIE - Learn how to do valve adjustments! It needs to set overnight before adjusting the valves as the engine must be "cold" before adjusting. They had solid lifters and is one of the most needed adjustments. Improper adjustment of valves will result in a lack of power or a burned valve.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've owned over a dozen various air-cooled VWs. Definitely a vehicle that you'll want to maintain yourself, as most mechanics these days wouldn't know an ignition point from the one at the top of their head! Rust may not be much of an issue, in your climate but if any vehicle will rust there an old VW will. We used to joke that VWs came with rust from the factory. If you can do the work there are several good engine swaps that work well with these vehicles. The best imo is the alumium 215 cu in V8 out of an early 60's Oldsmobile or 3.5 L from Range Rover products. (Actually the same basic engine sold by GM to British Leyland)The weight of the engine is almost identical to the stock engine which means you won't negatively affect the handling, or have to redo the rear suspension. Mazda rotaries work well but you really need to wind them up to move a vehicle that heavy. A Buick 3.8 V6 is a decent option regarding horsepower per dollar as long as you redo the suspension to take the extra weight.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
just consider this,.. back i the 70's my uncle got killed in one,.. someone went into his lane and it "accordioned" him and he's gone,.. he loved vw's had bugs and van's and he died at age 25,.. because of no protection in front,..

i love them also but would never get one,..

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Get a Dodge A100. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store