Is angel breeding probable for me?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
I'm kind of considering breeding angels. I'm getting a 30g, which is a 3ft tank and maybe 16in tall. I think I would put maybe 6-8 in there, either the natural looking ones or the white ones, and wait for them to pair. After that, I would move a pair into a 10g breeding tank and have them spawnin there, remove the angels, and raise the fry artificially. I've just heard too much about having a 'bad' pair that kills all their fry/eggs.

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
I would not recommend 8 angels in a 30g. Maybe a mated pair is all i would put in there. And you have to figure out were you would raise the fry. When i started angels i put 6 in a 125g planted and waited till i got a pair. Then i moved two pairs to 55g's, one tank per pair. And then i had two 125g's and three 75g's open for fry. All that room is not really needed thow. A 29g is all you need for a mated pair. And if you had a 55 or another 29 you could maybe only keep some of the fry to raise up.

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
Oh also a 10g is wayyyy to small for a breeding age pair. The least i would do would be 29g.

ODPILOT

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
I have bread Angels for a few years now -- and have raised lots of Angel babies. I agree, 10 Gallon tank way too small for a breeding pair and 8 adult Angels in a tank is only going to lead to lots of fighting and territorial behaviour. Maybe start with 4 Angels and hope that 2 will pair off -- but if you are to separate them -- you need more like a 30 gallon tank. As far as the Angels eating the babies --- some do, some dont' -- some are better parents than others. They eat the babies when they feel they are being threatened by other fish -- so if they are by themselves in a tank, it is likely they will raise them just fine -- and I WOULD let them do it - because they will do a better job than you !! Once the babies are free swimming, you must hatch your own baby brine shrimp -- it seems like this is the only thing they will eat. You will have to feed the babies the newly hatched shrimp 6X per day -- about every 2-3 hours or they will starve. You can let them grow up with the parents for atleast 2 or 3 weeks, and then you can separate the babies into another tank. Older babies will start to peck at and annoy the parents -- which stresses out the parents (just like with us humans !!). Eventually, the babies will eat flakes. You may email me at MBSILV@aol.com if you have more questions.

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
Time to upgrade tanks is what you need to do :) im actually downsizing right now

duffer

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Make sure you have lots of tanks for the grow outs. Angel fish can have huge spawns. You can run out of tank space in no time if you have some productive breeding pairs.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
How big should a grow-out tank be? I can definitely buy a few 10g's, but not much more than that. My parents are already fed up about a 3rd tank (I'm 14) and idk..
I just walk home with mine if they say no more. :headbang2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store