How do I make this tank more likely to succeed - 3 bettas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
Hi everyone! I have a 10 gallon tank (going on 5 weeks now) with 3 female bettas in it. They are doing pretty well - bright colors, active, hungry, exploring the tank, etc... There is a definite hierarchy (Ruby>Daphne>Scarlett) with some posturing, but not too much chasing, and I haven't seen anything serious in a few weeks. Scarlett got nipped while I was away on vacation two weeks ago, and it is healing up. All in all, I am happy with it, BUT...

Almost everything I hear is that 3 bettas in a tank is a recipe for disaster. Is there anything I can do, oh Fantastic Betta Experts, to make this a better situation for my girls (without getting a new tank)?

I have dividers in case I need them, but they seem to really enjoy swimming around the whole tank, so I'd rather not divide them while they're getting along. I hear that 4 or 5 bettas would be better than 3, but that they should all be added at once. (I had 4 originally, but one was never healthy, got picked on, and even though I removed her quickly, she never recovered.) Does anyone know if adding two more (quarantining first, removing mine, rearranging decor, etc...) would be a good idea or disastrous? :confused: Or is there anything else that you can think of that would help these three coexist?

Thanks!

Quinn1928

AC Members
Feb 28, 2008
P.A M.D border
hmmmm. How is your tank decorated? If it is not planted heavily, plant it heavily. The problem with adding more bettas is that this is only a 10 gallon tank so it could be too many fish for that size tank. I would definetely have the tank HEAVILY planted with lot's of little caves. MAYBE add 1 more betta, but 1 more at most i think. Hope this helps, Quinn

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
I think it's fairly well planted. (If I posted the pic right, you can see it.) I'm nervous that if I only add one more, that one will get ganged up on. With two new ones it would spread out the aggression, or not? Eh, I don't know. It'll be a few more weeks before I do anything, if I do anything. If the best thing is to leave them alone, I'll leave them alone.

whole tank small 25jul10.jpg

Betta Bob

AC Members
Jun 24, 2010
M.D.
I have had four in a ten gallon before, and it was kind of crowded, and there was a lot of bickering. Also in my experience after a hierarchy is established newer additions pretty much go unnoticed in a larger tank. I have kept up to 15 together in a 30 gallon tank with little problems by adding a few at a time after the original fish have sorted out their differences. On another note I have had female Bettas that were just as mean as any male, and were not suitable for a community tank.

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
Thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking it's best to just leave them be, then. They're the first fish I've ever had, and I'd rather not mess it up if I can avoid it. Such cool little fish - I didn't expect them to have such individual personalities. :) BTW, in the picture that's Scarlett up top and Ruby below; Daphne is smaller and not in the pic. Thanks again!

WandaA

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
DE
I always keep 4 or 5 in my 10 gal. Fortunately, I've never had a nasty one! I just make sure they all have pleanty of places to hang out. Any time I add a new one, I rearrange the tank before adding her and then keep the lights out till the next morning. Good luck with your ladies.

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
That's good to know, WandaA. Daphne was a little bully for the first few weeks (she's only half the size of the other two!) but she's calmed down now. But I know that if I try adding anyone new that I'll definitely need a backup tank - I've seen her in action, so I know the risks. :/

It's good to know that it can be done, though. Thanks!

This is not a great pic of them, but you can see how much smaller Daphne (on left) is to Ruby (next to her). Scarlett (below) is the same size as Ruby.

3 girls, small.jpg

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
icherno - females can be quite aggressive as well, I assure you. I have videos of mine fighting when I first introduced them into my sorority tank.

I think it looks well planted, beautiful, and balanced with the three bettas. Again, you'll be the best judge since you can actually see how they are behaving and make your calls based on that. It's pretty obvious when they don't get along.

Heads up though, I'm pretty sure that pink rimmed plant isn't a true aquatic, and maybe not that big sword on the right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store