Is my tank overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dritz

AC Members
Jul 26, 2010
I've set up a 55 gallon tank and am wondering if I have too many fish in it (especially considering the runaround i've gotten in regards to the full grown size of a Colombian Shark :( ) I have a Colombian Shark, a Blushing Angelfish, a Rainbow Shark, a Sterba's Cory, a Pleco, two female Swordtails (their mate recently died) and a Betta splenden. The fish get along great (there was a little bit of a war between my Angelfish and Betta at first because my Betta was a replacement of the first one who got eaten by a crayfish we introduced to the tank, but they don't pay attention to eachother anymore) But I have noticed that my Angelfish has stopped growing and he is supposed to grow to be a much larger fish (although I could just be being impatient). And I really have no idea how big my sharks will get, as the people at the pet store said he would only be 8-10 inches when full grown. Stupid me for believing them. Anyways, any input would be great! Thanks so much :)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The Columbian will grow (or can grow to about a foot), the rainbow will grow big too.

IMO--You tank is not over crowded yet, but what a strange mix.

PS--Corys like more corys as company.

Crispino Ramos

AC Members
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Real Name
Crispino Ramos
I think fish are less stressed if they are in a large group of the same species, as they say, safer by the numbers.

dritz

AC Members
Jul 26, 2010
okay good to know :) so do you think it would be safe to add a couple extras??? ((like a maybe a couple more corys and angels???)) definitely no bettas tho and i think the sharks seem pretty content with eachothers company. My colombian shark used to hang out with the cory all day, but lately since he's grown so much bigger he just chases the cory away from his hiding spot :( but at least he's become friends with the rainbow shark since then, just too bad for the cory

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
How big are the two sharks??

dritz

AC Members
Jul 26, 2010
currently, the colombian shark is about 7 inches and the rainbow shark is 6

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
you will find as the rainbow shark gets older, that it will get more 'grumpy' and may not tolerate some of the fish that it is with now. i have an albino rainbow that has become increasingly aggressive (chasing but not biting) towards its tankmates in the past 6 months or so.

i'd definitely get a few more cories to keep your loner company. when keeping cories, it is good to have at least 4 or 5.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store