paradise fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

09lynx

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
hi, i just signed up !
i bought 2 paradise fish & 2 octo cat fish about 4 days ago,
and read somewhere that the octos like cucumber so i put a slice in today,
and just went to look at my fish and the paradise fish has changed colour its went bright orange and its bellys turned black with a black streak through its tail ! what has happend?! please help ! xxx

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
What kind of paradise fish are we talking about here (albino, standard blue/red stripes, black, Day's, etc.)?

Are the two fish male? If so, they could be fighting or gearing up to fight...two males together do not do well at all (much like bettas).

How big is your tank?

Is it an established tank or a newer tank (and if new, how new)?

The food, unless it's sitting there rotting, shouldn't be the issue. Paradise fish will pick at nearly anything, but cucumber isn't going to hurt them.

Eric

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
By "octo" cat, do you mean "oto" cat. If so, they tend to be rather delicate when first brought home (most are wild caught and not adequately fed while in transit or at many lfs). Thus, they tend to be malnourished and stressed when first bought and need to be placed in well established aquariums that are fully cycled and have a good bio base for them to feed on. Yes, they will eat cucumber and zucchini, but be sure to blanch it first (meaning, nuke it in water for about a minute, then cool it off before you put it in the tank). Good luck with your tank, and welcome to AC.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store