Stocking plans for first tank - 36g bowfront

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lounee

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Upstate South Carolina
Just bought my first tank and in the process of setting it up. Woo-hoo! Using a Marineland Emperor 400 filter, and lightly planting the tank with low/moderate lights. Once its cycled, I'm thinking about:

2 cherry barbs,
6 x-ray tetras,
3 Mickey Mouse Platys (2F, 1M),
4 cory catfish,
and eventually trying to add 10-15 red cherry shrimp.

Does this sound reasonable, or should I consider some changes? Thanks for your thoughts :)

cobfreak

AC Members
May 1, 2010
Cumberland, MD
I think cherry barbs work better with more than 2, though in my experience they don't really school much. At any rate they're small and you could get away with six or so. Although to be honest maybe you could do without the cherry barbs and do a nice centerpiece fish instead. pearl gourami maybe. i've got a three spot and it's a bit of a bully, but I READ that the pearls are more peaceful. Don't know though. If I can somehow trade my three spot for a pearl I'll be more sure. :)

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Lounee

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Upstate South Carolina
Thanks for your ideas! I'll read up on the Pearl Gourami and Bolivian Rams, they both are nice looking fish. I was originally thinking of sticking with small fish to improve my chances with the shrimp, but now I'm reconsidering...

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
what kind of corys do you want? You could get 6-8 pygmy corys or about 4 peppered or julli corys. I personally love my x-ray tetras, and I'm happy to see someone with them stocked too. As for the shrimp, I would add them first to allow their population to spike before adding the fish just in case.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
If your thinking shrimp your first stock list will probably work. I don't know if Cory's would eat them but not enough to destroy the population. But Ram's would be really hard to keep with shrimp. They are very aggresive feeders of shrimp. I tried it, it did not work out very well. They will eat 90% of your shrimp so if your lucky you might always have a few survivors that never leave the bottom of a rock. So you would never see them anyway unless you watch for when they come out at night the only time they are safe.

Lounee

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Upstate South Carolina
user_name: I'm thinking peppered cory's, but I don't have a real strong preference.

bradlgt21: I definitely want to have shrimp, thanks for the advice. I'm torn between increasing the number of tetra and/or platys, or going for a Pearl Gourami if I can find one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store