Oil spill in Michigan kills fish/birds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
So about three days ago we had a pipeline break a few miles up river from Battle Creek on the Kalamazooo river. This river holds alot of fish species including walleye,sturgen,LMB,SMB,Steelhead, huge catfish and salmon from the Great Lakes...Clean up effort has been dismal at best. The river was one of my favorite fisheries( one block behind my house)but now fish/birds are dieing very quickly. Huge oil slicks from Ceresco Dam(where the spill occured) is flowing down river and may reach Alegan dam very quickly, killing off miles upon miles of aquatic life/birds...There are also breeding pairs of Bald eagles on this river who are very much in danger from the oil coated dead fish they may consume...What a nightmare!!!

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
As long as we have a thirst for oil and corporations put profits ahead of anything else it will continue to occur. It's a real shame, I feel for ya!

Kerry121774

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
RI
I can't even imagine! What is going on with the world where we're currently trying to clean up THREE huge oil spills I have to think that we seriously pissed off Mother nature and she's finally letting us know we've pushed too hard! Having loss like this is terrible but to have it so close to home I can't even imagine. I'm so sorry.....

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
The smell of oil comming from the river is enough to make you sick and the miles of cars from ppl who want to have a look/volunteer is crazy.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
How awful. :(

Crispino Ramos

AC Members
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Real Name
Crispino Ramos
I wonder why I haven't heard this news on NPR radio or Yahoo news.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
At least now you don't have to butter your fish.

thrak76

AC Members
May 31, 2009
I wonder why I haven't heard this news on NPR radio or Yahoo news.
I heard it yesterday on Morning Edition.

I hope that this will get cleaned up quickly. It would be a shame for more pollution to end up in Lake Michigan. Then it will end up down my way too, near St. Joseph.

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
The Kalamazoo river has been poluted for as long as i can remember from the old downtown factories dumping in the Battle Creek river which empties into the Kalamazoo but this is wayy too much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store