I just couldn't resist!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
So, I was at Petco getting a couple things for a new shrimp tank. (The Petco around here isn't too bad - healthy looking fish in tanks, same old little cup nonsense with Bettas, but clean water at least.) While walking around deciding I walked past the Betta display, and thought, hey, I'll just look at what they have... Yeah, so I almost got away - there were maybe 20 female (I have a 10g w/ 3 girls in it), but about 2/3 red and 1/3 blue. I already have 2 red and 1 blue, so no temptation. Then I saw the marble. I think that's the right name for the color - mostly white, some color to the fins anywhere from purple to green. Really really pretty. And the kicker? She looked healthy! Active, curious, etc...

Yeah. Her name is now Opal. I kept her in the shrimp tank (no shrimp yet, took a spare filter out of the 10g to cycle it) for a couple of days with no trouble - still healthy. I was very nervous about it, but I added her to the sorority yesterday.

Took out the girls, complete rearranging, put Opal in. After a few minutes for her to explore I began adding my girls one at a time, starting with the lowest in rank (poor Scarlett). Fed them, lights out 'til morning.

So, 24 hrs later, it seems good. I can tell there was some skirmishing over night. Scarlett and Daphne each have a nipped fin - unfortunate, but nothing major. Ruby and Opal are unscathed. From their behavior I can tell that Opal is now #2 in the tank (you go, girl!). I'm not seeing any signs of stress from them, thank goodness. They are all active, curious, exploring all areas of the tank. I'm not seeing any chasing or showdowns, so, fingers crossed, they've got things settled in terms of hierarchy.

I know it's only been a day, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them. And I've got a backup tank (and dividers) if it goes bad; hopefully I won't need them. So far, so good!

Anyway, pics...

Opal.JPG 4 girls together.JPG all four in 10g.JPG

I <3 my fish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
She's really pretty! I fell in love with a few females myself, one being black and red. She is a bit of a bully, so I named her War, lol.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Wow, I've never seen females like her at my Petco! Def think there will be some marbling on her body (darkens w/age), and the red in her fins will probably spread a little. She's lovely!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
She's very pretty! great find

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store