powder brown tang experience?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

harrypotter41

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
I'm looking at a powder brown tang to buy this week from Petco (any thoughts on buying fish from these types of stores?) Anyways, he/she is small-medium sized which is why I'd like to have him. I have a 55 gallon with 2 clown (oscelaris-sp?), and a coral banded shrimp.
Note: I had paid for a coral beauty when a different LFS received it last Tuesday. I had them keep it for a few days until I felt he was going to be okay for me to take home. I went to check him out today and he had not been eating and they were up front with me about that. They gave me a store credit or refund, so I feel like they are good to buy from in the future. I had intended to make the coral beauty the highlight of my tank, as you can typically only have 1 angel fish which is my understanding. Is this consistent with you guys/gals? I also fancied an angel they called a "half-black angel" which I have been unable to find more information for online. I value your expertise and experience.

thanks,
Casey

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Powder Brown's are among the more difficult tangs to keep. It's often difficult to get them to eat and they can be hard to acclimate because they don't handle shipping/moving stresses well at all. Plus, a 55g is really too small for one of these :(

Orion

AC Members
Feb 1, 2004
Visit site
There are two fishes that are commonly call Powder Brown.
Acanthurus nigricans, the less colorful of the two is a very dificult fish to care for and keep alive. Large tank, stable and very clean fast moving water is needed. I would not recommend this fish. Here is a picture from fishbase.org.

The second fish is Acanthurus japonicus is only dificult to keep. It is more colorful, and is a very pretty fish when healthy. It is not very aggressive, but need a large tank with stable clean water and variety in food. Certainly A. japonicus is a harder fish to keep then Yellow, Purple or Sailfin tangs. I agree that 55 g is way too small for this beautiful fish. Here is a picture from my tank. Notice the differences in the white patch on the face and the orange color on the dorsal fin.

Minh

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store