"good" pH level for fish only tank ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Originally posted by DLeung10
Is 1.022-1.023 the level I should try to keep ? [...]
This is going to sound like nit-picking, but do you mean pH, or specific gravity? By the context of your question, it seems that you mean specific gravity...

Some suggest that, in a fish only tank, using a slightly "light" mixture provides a better environment; the rationale being that freshwater holds more oxygen, so any move in that direction makes respiration easier for the fish.

I'm not so sure about that, but if you're not planning on doing any breeding, and intend to stick with a FO tank, then matching water with your LFS would certainly make acclimatization easier on new fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Many LFS keep their salinities low to help control parasites. Marine parasites are easily killed by low salinities, and it can be used to treat fish prone to ich. In the home aquarium, quarantine of the fish prior to introduction, and treatment is needed, is a much better option. The fish can tolerate the lower sg for a while, but IMO, it may cause problems in the long run. Corals and inverts require the higher sg--they can't tolerate the low levels like fish can.

I keep mine around 1.024.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store