Velvet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
So my new hydrolycus tatauaia just got velvet. In the tank there is also a FW barracuda and Juruense catfish.

Anyways, I know you can use copper as a treatment, but that may be too rough for the tat and catfish. Also I read not to use meds on tats.

So I am going to keep the water clean and add aquarium salt. How much aquarium salt should I add?

Does anybody have any other ideas?

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Aim for a concentration of 2 teaspons per gallon. Make sure to predissolve it in warm water before adding as direct contact with salt will burn them. Also, don't add it all at once, try and increase concentration over a day or two until the levels are reached.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I just did a 20% water change. I was going to do a 50% W/C but I cannot find my other 1 gallon jug and that would take forever with just one lol.

I also added 1 tsp per gallon. Tomorrow morning I am going to raise the temp from 84 to 86 and then add another tsp per gallon so I will have 80 tsp of salt total.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Aim for a concentration of 2 teaspons per gallon. Make sure to predissolve it in warm water before adding as direct contact with salt will burn them. Also, don't add it all at once, try and increase concentration over a day or two until the levels are reached.
The ick spread to one other fish, but now they are both better and healthy. I will continue salt treatment for a few more days just incase though.

Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store