Is it really that bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I keep getting told off for the fact that I bought a one gallon temp tank for a betta ( I want one so bad) until I can free up my ten gallon. I have a net, water conditioner, Food ( pellets, flakes and sundried shrimp), Melafix, a water test kit, A thermometer, aerater, filter, and i do weekly partial water tests and treat any illnesses my fish get ( from the pet store not me) So is it really that bad to keep a betta in a one gallon for a little while if you are doing all the proper maintenence?

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
As long as you have a good filter, and keep up with your water changes and such, he should be OK for a while. Just make sure you free up your extra tank ASAP!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
1 gallon is certainly bigger than the cup the bettas are kept in in the store. The difficulty lies in maintaining good water temp/conditions in such a small space.

I kept my Sephiroth in a 1 gallon temporary unfiltered "tank" when I first got him (live in tropical area, no need for heater). He was tiny, and I didn't have another 2.5g to move him into. He stayed in the 1g for about 1 month. Even though I fed him sparingly, it was very hard to keep the tank clean - I would recommend you keep the 1g bare bottom with several live plants to help water quality. Java Fern is very easy to keep and inexpensive. Plus, your betta will really perk up with live plants in his tank. The aerator is not needed, as betta breath air via their labyrinth organ.

Bottom line, if you are diligent about water changes (50%, 3x/week minimum) and do not overfeed (2 pellets/day), and work to get the 10g within the next month or two, then your betta should be fine temporarily in the 1g.

edit: Look for the Azoo Palm Filter - it has adjustable flow, and I've used one on a 1g hex with no problem.

Last edited:

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I suppose it would be alright for temporary housing ( REALLY temporary ). The thing is, if it IS temporary housing...your pretty much wasting your money on it when you could just hold off until you could get something bigger and more appropriate for your betta. I understand you really want one (not sure if you have one already or not) but you should always be looking out for their best interest and not just buying one because you really really want it.
Either way, best of luck...they are great fish.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I agree that water is difficult to maintain in a one gallon tank. I thought you were making a betta sorority? ( i could be mixing you up with someone else ). Having the right stuff doesn't mean much if you don't keep up with regular maintenance. You are honestly better off to wait until the 10 gal is free to even get the fish. In the end the 1 gal tank will stress the fish more....poor water conditions, water changes, multiple tank moves, etc..

Get everything set up for the 10 then get the betta, buy right or buy twice.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
i have the ten gallon and it will be free next month when i move to college and find a home for my two goldfish ( I was misled by the sales person :( ) But I take VERY good care of my pets and make sure they are taken care of and the water is right and everything.

BTW if i have to move the tank i will have to empty it ... how do i avoid having to cycle it again?

Also I was going to do a sorority and will one day but right now I dont want to risk the fish getting hurt because i cant seperate them if a fight breaks out)

Last edited:

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
When moving a tank, leave the substrate and just drain the water down to 1" - lay down any tall ornaments/wood and keep the tank hood on. Put the filter media into a container with tank water for traveling.

This should be done just before you leave... and set up the tank as soon as you can. You may have a mini-cycle if some of the beneficial bacteria die (not sure how long your commute to school will be). Just test your water for a week or so to make sure.

IMO, you shouldn't get the betta until you rehome your goldfish.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
When moving a tank, leave the substrate and just drain the water down to 1" - lay down any tall ornaments/wood and keep the tank hood on. Put the filter media into a container with tank water for traveling.

This should be done just before you leave... and set up the tank as soon as you can. You may have a mini-cycle if some of the beneficial bacteria die (not sure how long your commute to school will be). Just test your water for a week or so to make sure.

IMO, you shouldn't get the betta until you rehome your goldfish.
I agree.

Plus moving a fish tank to a dorm room is no fun on move in day....I've done it.
There are people everywhere with all their kids crap, the kids are excited talking to each other...it's just a hassle.

If I were you I'd get your room set up and then set the tank up last. That way you know exactly where you want it, where it has to be because of plugs etc.... Let the water run for a week and test it THEN go get your betta. The fish will be much happier and healthier.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
LOL I actually dont live with my parents so everything will be moved in one day. The betta's place in on my bookshelve at eye level so he catches attention :) The commute is only 20 minutes. And the thing is they are comet goldfish so noone wants them :( I dont want to release them into the pond on campus even knowing there are goldfish in there. I kinda wanna try putting him in the one gallon for a few weeks and see how it goes. I had a betta thrive in a 1/2 gallon bowl for months. He would swim around and eat like crazy lol. He was very happy and well taken care of ( At the time I was misinformed on what they needed. I bought the tank for him)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store