Do you have a school of kissing gouramis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
If so post pics please please please.... I was giving a suggestion on what someone should put in their new tank which was a school of pink kissers and MTS sneaked up on me again and now I want to start tank number 17 with a school of pink kissers:wall:

So if you're one of the few to have a school of this much overlooked fish please post pics along with your tank setup. I have one pink kisser that came along with a tank I bought and I love her to death, such a sweet fish and I can only imagine how awesome a school of them would be.:headbang2:

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Hmm, are you sure they school? Gouramis seem to me more like fish that should be kept in pairs or singly. At the LFS they look stressed all crammed together like that, they don't seem to school like tetras or hang out in packs like barbs. Also their "kissing" is a territorial display - and actually I've seen pearl gouramis and tiger barbs do it too :)

I love the wild variant of kissers:

Not so much the pink ones.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I realize their not a "schooling" fish, just wanted to see some tank that had a group in a tank together. I know "kissing" is a display of dominance.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
How big is your tank? These guys often reach 8"-12" inches (depending if you measure TL or SL). You need a good sized tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
There are no "schooling" gouramis.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Perhaps this boils down to the difference between shoaling and schooling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoaling_and_schooling

In biology, any group of fish that stay together for social reasons are said to be shoaling (pronounced /ˈʃoʊlɪŋ/), and if, in addition, the group is swimming in the same direction in a coordinated manner, they are said to be schooling (pronounced /ˈskuːlɪŋ/).[1] In common usage, the terms are sometimes used rather loosely.[1]

Oh, and please no one tell me "...but it's Wikipedia!" - here was a website titled shoaling and schooling - it was perfect so I'm going to link to it :p

Betta Bob

AC Members
Jun 24, 2010
M.D.
:rofl:They will kiss each other to death, but seriously your Gourami will be happiest alone, or with just a few others in an appropriate sized tank with well defined territories.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
The only way I can see making a kissing gourami tank interesting would be to use them as dither fish for large CA/SA cichlids in a huge tank, 200+ gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store