R/O water w/ Seachem Equilibrium for Freshwater tanks???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
My entire house water supply is run through an R/O filter. So, my "tap" water is R/O water. I've been buying "spring" water to use for my tanks (occasionally supplemented with my tap water), but I'd like to not have to run to the store every time I do a water change. I know that I can't just use straight R/O water b/c it's lacking minerals, yes?

So, I bought some Seachem Equilibrium - "to establish the ideal mineral content for the planted aquarium". I think I can add this to my tap water and then I can use it. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have RCS, bettas, and some plants. :huh:

Any input would be great - thanks!

MidnightSkies

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
I use RO water for my planted tank because of my water softener. I use Seachem Equilibrium and baking soda. Equilibrium alone will not make your water safe for fish. It only raises the gH of your water (hardness). You also have to add kH (kH keeps your water stable/no fluctuating pH). I use baking soda and it's cheap and works perfectly fine. One complaint I do have about Equilibrium however though is that it is absolutely horrible at dissolving.

Once you pick up your gH and kH your water should be safe for all fish/inverts/plants.

MidnightSkies

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
In order to get gH and kH correct you will need a test kit. You can normally pick up a kit with both gH and kH tests for around $10 at a LFS. I believe a gH and kH of around 3-4 ppm is pretty decent, but it will depend on what your tank inhabitants prefer. For me about 1/8 tsp per gallon gives me a kH reading of about 7, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will for you.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
This is a dumb question but you have a whole house R/O unit? Or water softener system? I'm only asking considering my 100GPD cost me a couple of hundred bucks and it's at a 4 to 1 rate average (4gal wasted for every 1 gal R/O) or something there abouts. I can't imagine what a whole house one would cost it's got to be quite an expense and low pressure. I must not be up on the new R/O technology.

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
Yeah, if I'm messing with kH/gH I'll need tests for it. It's good to start with a ballpark number, though, thanks.

Um, well, I didn't install the system. It's a Culligan water softener of some sort, over a decade old. It has an R/O filter as part of it. The water pressure is great, except when it malfunctions (hole in air bladder, gunked up filter, etc...).

I could get my water from the hose outside - it doesn't run through the filter - and then treat for chlorine... Might be trouble in winter, and I'd like something reliably available. Oh, the complications! :)

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
You may want to investigate the plumbing configuration I would suspect if there is an R/O that it may split from the main line to supply water to say just the sinks in the house. It wouldn't be efficient to supply R/O water to say the toilets and showers as an example. Depending on access it maybe possible for you tap the water supply line before softener at a cost off course. I thought typically they have 3 stage or 2 stage filters on them I didn't think they also included R/O membrane. I'm no plumber but maybe there's information on the system from the manufacture online.

Some of these systems have tanks to store R/O depending on capacity. I've read people mention they've used water right from their softener with out problems but I'm not sure of their live stock.

This hobby is all about complications.....:wall:
:laugh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store