Questions about what my LFS told me was "true."

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Corn-Picker

AC Members
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Ok, I don't know what to think of my LFS. I agree with 90% of what they tell me (and it agrees with what I hear on the net), but sometimes they tell me something completely contrary to what I hear on these forums.

For instance, they said a small trigger fish (1-2") would be ok in my 30 gallon tank. They said even a trigger that's supposed to grow to over a foot won't get much bigger than 6" in captivity.

Here are my Q's:
Will saltwater fish grow to the size of their tank?
How fast do triggers grow? I hope to have a bigger tank in a year or two, in the case that the trigger gets too big for my tank I could trade him back to the LFS for value.
Do triggers need big tanks because they get big or because they need lots of room to swim?

Another thing that sorta made sense to me is that my LFS suggested I get a 10 gallon tank for $10 and use it as a quarintine tank. They suggested adding my fish at two week intervals from least agressive to most agressive, so that the more agressive fish don't get territorial and mean. They said if one of the fish does get agressive, put him in the quarintine tank for a week as a timeout than reintroduce him to the tank.

How poisonious are the spines of the spiny box puffer? I would like to get one (again when I get a bigger tank), but I don't want a fish that's going to kill me if I accidently bump into him when reaching into the tank...

Thanks a lot for your help again. I think I may just go the safer router and get my originally planned fish; a yellowstripe maroon clown, dwarf angel, yellow head jawfish, and one or two of the colorful dragonets. I like the idea of having something as supposedly intelligent as the trigger fish in my tank though :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Fish that do not grow to close to their wild size are stunted. Some will survive, but seldom thrive, if stunted. As with all animals, stunting should be avoided--it increases the odds of illness and shortens the life span of the fish. Triggers will get well over 6 inches, if kept in a large tank---I've seen several that are right around 15 inches. I would not get one until you have the bigger tank--just a precaution. Too many people say they'll get a bigger tank when it's needed--but don't realize that the fish may already be stunted without any way to identify it visually.

A quarantine tank is a good idea, but having the fish in there for less than 2 weeks is inadequate. I would have them in there for at least 6 weeks.

Also, a pair of dragonettes will not work in a 30--they need a huge uspply of pods, and small tanks seldom provide them with enough food. They are also territorial, and while male/female pairs will work in larger tanks, spats between males can be deadly.

If the spiny box puffer is the same one I'm thinking of, they are not toxic. I had one, and they can be hard to feed and should not be in a tank with corals. Can you show a pic of the one you're considering?

Corn-Picker

AC Members
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Thanks again onion girl. I think I'm going to skip the dragonettes. The only bottom feeder dependent on critters breeding from my live rock will be the yellowhead jawfish. I'm not going to add the jawfish until 4-6 months after my tank is up. I want to make sure he has lots to feed on and the critters in the live rock are established.

So, I'll have one dwarf angel, one yellowstripe maroon clownfish, and a yet to be decided fish. Any suggestions for one more fish in a 30 gallon? I want something smart like the trigger :) Maybe a small hawk fish?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That box puffer is not toxic. Too big for a 30, but not toxic. We had one and I had him poke me a couple times. The spines are actually very soft and flexible until the fish inflates, and then they are seriously sharp and painful. I was trying to burp ours (he'd over eaten and had bubbles forming in his gut) and he did not appreciate my efforts at all.

Hawkfish are very entertaining fish--fairly social, and pretty. They will limit the inverts you can have, though--shrimp and most crabs would be eaten.

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
Do you have the yellow striped maroon yet? Mine has become so terratorial that he has completey taken over my 55g. Has killed a sweetlips and wants to kill my dragonet but cant. Point of story, think twice about it in that small of tank.

Corn-Picker

AC Members
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by frosty
Do you have the yellow striped maroon yet? Mine has become so terratorial that he has completey taken over my 55g. Has killed a sweetlips and wants to kill my dragonet but cant. Point of story, think twice about it in that small of tank.
liveaquaria.com sells a tank raised yellow stripe maroon that is supposedly less agressive. I may go with that one. Right now I have to wait for my tank to cycle, I have 36 pounds of rock, 70-80 pounds of sand (4-5 inches deep), and a rotting shrimp in my 30 gallon :eek:

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
i'v personally proven wrong the theory that fish will only get to the size of thier aquarium, i have had fish in smaller aquarims at a size some would say is impossible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store