fire eel or ropefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joshmac8

AC Members
May 9, 2010
You could house the fire eel or ropefish in the 60 gallon for at least a year, i had mine in a 55 gallon for a bit then gave him to a friend with a 150, hopefully i'll be picking him up later in time when he's 2' hehe

jonny5

AC Members
Sep 16, 2010
fire eel no, ropefish...eh maybe. they get long but they stay thin. But they like buddies, and if you want buddies than a bigger tank will be needed.

a single fire eel is fine in 125g.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
No you cannot house a fire eel in a 60g. They get way too long and fat. They will grow at least to the length of your tank.

Rope fish you'd be able to house for YEARS in a 60g. Even after they get pretty long they're very flexible and tend to congregate close to each other anyway. A 3 ft tank is plenty long enough for even a large ropefish to completely stretch out.
You do need to house several though, IMO, since for one they like company, and secondly they can be hard to get feeding unless in a group.

a single fire eel is fine in 125g.
What is your definition of fine? They get huge and do not stay that slender.

Check out this thread:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298609&highlight=fire+eel

Note for anyone easily offended there is some vulgar language in the video.

Last edited:

Tinkmink09

Registered Member
Apr 12, 2020
Actually yes, I keep mine however in a 100 gallon tank with my huge pleco who won’t fit anywhere else any more. They get along great the ropefish never leaves the eels side and they even eat right there together. They use the same hide and never hurt each other. My rope fish actually even jumped out of the tank when I removed the eel once to put in my 80 gallon eel tank and once I put back has not jumped out yet or even tried to. So in my experience they get alone great. Getting attached to each-other even. My eel sticks with the rope fish as well his not just all him. She will follow him around and I have seen the pleco attempt to push the ropefish out of its way and the eel actually went after the pleco, she didn’t hurt him she just bumped him and got him away from the ropefish. They get along great if u have the tank size for them both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store