New Angel update: good and bad news plus some rookie questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mchimiak

Piscator
Aug 1, 2010
Florida
:rolleyes:Per sticky#2 format:

1. 90 gallons
2. Water parameters unchecked for 5 days. After joining and reading through these foroms I will no longer rely on "you're water is great" when the LFS checks it. I will be buying a test kit next chance I get.
3. Fresh water
4. The tank is well established @ 7 months.
5. loach, pictus catfish, pleco, 8 tetras, dwarf gurami, 8 snails, two angels.
All fish are medium except for small angels.
6. no quarantine other than 10 minute float in a bag for temp acclimitization.
7. 79 degree temp ( I live in Florida)
8. 1/2 plastic 1/2 plant with driftwood piece (eventually moving to 100% plant). Gravel is pebble, florite plant gravel around new plants. {What can I say? I originally did'nt think I'd do natural plants, but I'm now facinated by them.
9. 405 Fluval filter (lovely system)
10. none
11. Lighting goes from sunup to about an hour or two after sunset.
12. I gravel vac 40% every other week.
13. I feed daily, but not much.
Tetracolor flakes mainly, Spectrum cichlid food at times, and for this emergency I am using Jungle anti-bacteria, medicated fish food.
14. I won the fin rot battle. Regeneration is occurring quicker than I expected. :rolleyes: my marble angel is totally cured and doing well. My yellow angel went from brink of death to eating; however, she (guess)
still swims vertically. The marble swims near the yellow (pairing?).
15. medicated food and melafix.

Thats the good news and bad news.

Last edited:

mchimiak

Piscator
Aug 1, 2010
Florida
Now the questions

1. My intuition screams for a water change. I really did a heck of a lot of overfeeding to get food to the yellow angel. It worked, but I yucked up my tank a bit with too much food. (My catfish is now obese)

2. Although overjoyed for its recovery, this is day 5 now of the crisis, and the fish still doesn't swim as it should despite growing fins. I really don't think it's swim bladder disease, but I am new to fish doctoring.

I know I shouldn't take in poor stock, but the little critter stole my heart at first sight. I want it cured.

Last edited:

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Don't abandon your water change schedule — especially after adding stock to your tank. Now is the time to do more WC not fewer. The slight disturbance caused by the siphon — which you can keep well away from the angels, of course :) — is far less harmful than risking an ammonia spike.

FYI, 10 minutes floating in a bag doesn't actually acclimate fish to the water in a tank. Do a search here on AC for "drip acclimation" and you'll know for next time how to lessen any risk of shock.

Good luck with your new angels.

------

Edited to add: Melafix contains tea tree oil, which is thought by many to damage the labyrinth organ of anabantoids. (Bettafix is a less concentrated version of the same but poses the same possible risk.) You might want to forego using it, since you have dwarf gouramis in your tank.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Hmm. A 90g is so far out of my experience, and my time with angels so limited (3 months maybe?) that I hesitate to post at all..but what the heck, that never stopped me before. :)

Assuming you did regular water changes before the Recent Unpleasantness I would think the fish, including the angels, would be reasonably used to it and not keel over in terror at some new and alarming event. If you think the tank needs it, give a quick vac where the debris is worst and let it go at that. The pic you posted doesn't look all that gunk-infested to me, and as you say much of the food "waste" is still available for them to nibble on and gain more medication value.

Other than that I would not be concerned about the yellow angel's posture issues. Imagine that you had had half your foot cut off but had the capacity for regeneration. You would expect to walk in a seriously strange way for quite awhile, no? Even though this was just a part of the normal healing process.

If the fish is eating, and reasonably out and about (not hiding all the time) I would consider it a good sign and go on with whatever maintenance seems right to you.

fwiw. :)

mchimiak

Piscator
Aug 1, 2010
Florida
I went ahead with a 35% WC. God that was a relief. The yellow angel lived through it.

It's now lights off, and it's too late to service my filter (no biggie, I'll get that first thing tomorrow)

Thanks folks. I'm super glad I found this website. :woot:

mchimiak

Piscator
Aug 1, 2010
Florida
7:30 AM update

Although still swimming vertical-ish, the yellow is roaming the tank in search of food, mostly off the bottom. It moves horizontal-ish when it moves more quickly. Fins are growing back, and the fish is eating.:nilly:

Is it my imagination, or is the marble angelfish 'guarding' its tankmate?:huh:

mchimiak

Piscator
Aug 1, 2010
Florida
A picture says a thousands words

One week: from brink of death to 1000%!:dance2:

This website is fantastic! There are soooooo many distressed fish threads in here. The advice I got from you folks was spot on, and gave me a great second opinion from the great folks at my LFS who were saying pretty much the same things.

I learned a lot and have started recommending this site to others. A special thanks to H2O Gal and XanAvaloni!

Last edited:

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Congrats!!! Wonderful Job, I am so happy for you and your little angels!!!

Maribeth

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Glad we could help. AC really is an amazing forum.

Keep posting pics ... but a little bigger next time, please! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store