Fully aquatic earthworms FOUND. Any info on breeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knifegill

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
I have found several fully aquatic 'earthworms' in an urban stream near my house. So they're not suitable as food. But their progeny would sure be! Does anyone know anything about these worms? They are way too big to be tubifex. Pretty much the size of your typical red wriggler. If nobody knows, I'll just try breeding them like tubifex and see what happens.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Red wigglers can live in water too. I have them in my old Oscar tank. I vac a few up every time I do a WC. They are breeding too cuz I get very small ones and eggs. They have been in there a long time under the gravel with no problems.My Oscar must have missed a couple and thats how it started.

knifegill

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
Hmm. Okay, but these aren't red wrigglers. They possess the traits of other aquatic annelids, the little cilia-like projections on the rear body segments. And they are slightly more flattened than reds, if I recall correctly. And see the adaptation at the rear? The body changes a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store