new tank ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Ok, I am currently still researching starting a tank and had two ideas. Both are FOWLR. My choices are a 40 gallon breeder with an assortment of non aggressive fish and I was wondering what some good choices would be. I had also considered a 75 gallon predator tank with a snowflake eel too get a feel for the bioload and general care for predators. If I went that route what kind of fish would be ok to stock with them. Any and all advice and opinions would be appreciated.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
For the 40 I would consider a nice pair of clowns, smaller wrasses, grammas/ basslets/assessors, smaller blennies and goby/pistol shrimp combos. A hawkfish like a flame, longnose or a geometic pygmy would be cool too but if you want a shrimp like a cleaner/fire/peppermint the hawks will probably take it out (except the geometric which will be safe with shrimp). The pistol should be ok as it will have any number of tunnels running under the rocks to escape to and the goby will warn him of danger.

Can't help much with the predatory fish since I have no experience with them but I really like triggers. May need to see if a 75 is big eneough.

Why not the 75 with non agressive fish? I have a 40 breeder and love it but my only complaint is the height of the tank (16"). A 75 is a nice tank. HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store