I just had a really weird thing happen...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
I got home from work a little while ago and checked on my Bettas. All good. :) I gave them a pea to share (broken up) and when that vanished I gave them some pellets. Then two minutes later I checked on them again and Scarlett was hovering by the surface, and I notice that her gills are working very hard. I checked on the other girls (same tank - same water), they seemed fine. I could see that Scarlett was "breathing" from the surface every 10 seconds (very odd) and when she did a bubble came out her left gill!!! And the side fin right there is pulled in. Uh oh... I didn't see any damage - no nips or anything - and her fins weren't clamped at all, the rest were fully extended. Still, bubbles shouldn't come out her gills... :confused:

So I scooped her out. Put her in a fish bowl with only 1.5 inches of water, so she didn't have to work to reach the surface, and I kept checking on her every minute or so, when something weird happened...

After 5 min, I looked in and there was a piece of the pea and 4 pellets in the water! It had been clear before. Scarlett's gills weren't struggling. She wasn't coming up for air more than normal. And I may be wrong about this, but she seemed seriously pissed about being in that bowl - swimming all around like she was trying to get out.

Fine by me. Back in the main tank she went. I watched carefully to see if she was going to be okay, and I kid you not, she is back to normal!

So, tell me, what in the world just happened there?

Last edited:

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I believe that bettas have pharyngeal teeth (teeth in their throats), and the up-and-down head motion is them actually chewing their food. There can be a pause between taking in a bite of food and chewing/swallowing it, and they'll happily grab another bite of food before the first one is finished. So it sounds like she gulped in a lot of food too fast, or maybe she had a hard time chewing the pea and it slowed things down. Either way, it interfered with her breathing until she spit the food out.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited to add: pea and four pellets is a lot of food for one betta. Her stomach is only the size of her eye, so one regular pellet or a couple of mini-pellets is a full meal. The pea by itself would also be a meal.

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
Yeah - I was surprised she ate that much. It was 1/2 a pea and 8 pellets for FOUR Bettas, not each one. The others might be a tad hungry...

Good info, though, I didn't know about the chewing thing.

She's still dandy. :)

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I'm glad Scarlet is okay! Yup, bettas are pigs... on "pea" days, I don't feed pellets to avoid over-eating. I usually spot-feed pellets to my boys but can see how that wouldn't work in a sorority set-up! :rolleyes:

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
LOL, Scarlet was really scarfing those pellets!

Hope you'll post some pics of your girls soon, adeire. We like pics. :)

adeire

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Norfolk, VA, USA
It's like feeding sharks, lol! I try to spread the food out so it's not all in one spot, but, hmm, I'll think of something...

Pics, aye? I have an album up for the sorority, but here are some close ups of the stars! :clap:

The first is Scarlett. The nip is from a while ago (bad Daphne!) and is healing well. She's the omega of the group.

The marble/white one is Opal. She just took the lead from Ruby, who is right behind her.

Then there's Ruby, former alpha, nice and red!

And a blurry pic of Daphne, but it shows her color well.

scarlett.jpg Opal (&Ruby).jpg ruby.jpg daphne.jpg

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Beautiful girls!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea