White spots on glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I have seen a thread on here that sounded similar to my issues, but I am having issues with the search right now.

I have had my tank for about 3 months now, and have been battling these tiny little white spots that seem to be attached to the glass by a tiny thread. Some are larger than others. I have scrapped them off but they come back. I don't see anything on the fish, just the glass.

The fish don't seem bothered by them. I change water weekly, and recently cleaned about half of the gravel at the bottom as well as scrapped off the lil spots (before I changed a quarter of the water) but low and behold, I noticed them popping up a few days later.

Any ideas??

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I can't really get any good pics - I guess they are too small. I kind of feel bad if they are eggs, because I have been scrapping them off....

But thanks :)

newtchaplin

Registered Member
Nov 25, 2011
It's all part of the cycling process, it is a kind of algae. They are not eggs of anykind, I have seen them under my microscope. The research I did was extensive and what I found out was, it is a process of cycling the tank, its normal but does not happen to everyone. If you get a underwater fan and produce a strong current it will remove it after some time. It's not ick because ick is a parisitic type creature and swims around the water then clings onto its host. you will never see ick on the glass. Not limpet eggs or limpet snails. not tube worms, not feather dusters. I would like to call it "White spot algae"..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store