New FOWLR tank planing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishDad

Registered Member
Aug 8, 2010
Hello all, new here came from the reefing side of the hobby, I have now decided to convert to a FOWLR tank and looking for an suggestions. Currently I am running a SUMPLESS 90 gallon reef tank with an in tank Tunze reefpack. and an 8 bulb t5 lighting system. The current plan is for my lfs to trade in all my corals for livestock once my set-up is ready. I am planing on converting the tank to a sump system to be able to handle the larger bioload the larger fish will produce. I am thinking a 15-20 gallon sump with a RDSB (remote deep sand bed) for added denitrification, and a larger skimmer.

But where I would like some advice is on my livestock, I would like my focal fish to be a Lion, but want more than one fish. Keeping size in mind so it wont eat everything, also a harlequin tusk, and a dog faced puffer. lastly and eel for the scare factor :).

Any input anyone has would be great and accepted. Thanks

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I would go with nothing smaller then a 30 gal sump and the larger you can go would add to your tanks water volume. The other thing, if your to do a fish only tank, you not need those T5 and the best skimmer you can buy, not just so much larger, it don't works that way. For other wise, I have a large skimmer for you too buy, its 32" tall. Also, a lionfish, the largest of this family will grow too large for a 90 gallon tank. Another thing, which eel? You first need to understand that you need to allow much space for these marine animals, not just place them in a tank to admire them and watch them die sometime later. The puffer, if healthy and lives can grow 12" so is your tank a good size aquarium for such animals?

Buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store