Yellow Longhorn Cowfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snowman100

AC Members
Oct 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I just added this guy to my tank... Can anyone recommend what veggies would be good for him to eat.

Thanks....!

IMG_0932a.jpg

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Its taking me a good while to type this answer for you, hope it helps.

And I pray that you are an extremely experience hobbyist and that you have a nice size large tank for its adult size. Do however keep this fish with very peaceful aquarium tank mates that will not cause any stress.

It feeds on all kinds of live and frozen foods. The boxfish also eats green stuffs and it would be best to feed small amounts several times a day. Also, generally feed squid, shrimp, and all kinds of chopped up fish. Be sure to wash these foods thoroughly before feeding, and you could go with a vegetable formula like Formula II. Other foods including worms, clams, various mussels, snails, tunicates, and fish. But never try any type of flake food for even that it could eat it, it wont be good for the fish long term

As an omnivore/herbivorous, its diet must be supplied with seaweed sheets or other vegetable preparations, and all foods must be fed below the aquarium surface, for floating foods may cause the fish to gulp air, thus causing potential problems with balance and buoyancy.

Like puffer fish, their teeth will continually grow throughout its life so you will need to supply their diet with some hard shelled foods. Occasionally foods like live ghost shrimp and various live snails will keep their teeth worn down.

Buddy

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Seasoned/ mature rocks with plenty of naturally ocurring algae and others life forms growing should be enough.

Once starts to eat, you should not have problem with feeding as they are easy to feed.

Only concern is the possibility of wiping out the tank including itself under stressful conditions (even constant hassle by tankmates) as mentioned by others. Keep a close eyes on it for first few week to ensure all the inhabitant's safety/longevity.

If you find cowfish in distress, isolate ASAP.

ALthough I have kept many puffers and boxfish imported form Indo-Pacific, I have not personally caught any yet despite the fact others claimed they have caught few last year off eastern coastal area. Hope I have an opportunity to catch some myself before Summer is over. So far this iyear, all I caught was few seahorses, 2 species of file fish, pilot, pompano, (1) grouper, (2) spotfin butterfly (too smalll to bring home )(3) webb burr Puffers, (3) XLg Webb Burr (released since too big for my tank) and few what I believe are green dottybacks (perhaps I am way off).

I have my eyes on larger four eyes and spotfin butterfly, Big eye, Queen trigger, long horn cows, and if possible Volitan.

God luck with new addition and keep a close eyes on it for while

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store