"Lamprologous" brevis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I got a group of 4 brevis that are about 1.25".

What is their minimum breeding size?

Do the males and females look different?

Do they need to have shell or will they use other hiding places?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm not very knowledgeable on brevis but I too would venture to guess that they are likely near spawning size. As shelldwellers they would really do best with a lot of shells available. With my multis I gave them 2-3 per fish. I believe pairs will often share shells so make sure they are large enough.

As for sexing, size can be an indicator with males being larger than females on average but venting is the only 100% method.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Males grow to 2.5", females to 2". Beyond that, the only other method and far more accurate method, as pappy said is venting. An experienced cichlid keeper can look at the behaviors of the fish in a tank and pick out which ones are males and females, but it takes a lot of practice and knowledge. If you don't want to vent, your best bet is to look for one that kicks the others out of a territory usually in the neighborhood of 6". That is a male. Oh, and wait to see 2 in a shell together. The bigger one will probably be the male.

There is one thing I forgot to mention. Males tend to have more of an up-turned mouth, and look a little meaner. Their heads kind of look like calvus heads.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Males grow to 2.5", females to 2". Beyond that, the only other method and far more accurate method, as pappy said is venting. An experienced cichlid keeper can look at the behaviors of the fish in a tank and pick out which ones are males and females, but it takes a lot of practice and knowledge. If you don't want to vent, your best bet is to look for one that kicks the others out of a territory usually in the neighborhood of 6". That is a male. Oh, and wait to see 2 in a shell together. The bigger one will probably be the male.

There is one thing I forgot to mention. Males tend to have more of an up-turned mouth, and look a little meaner. Their heads kind of look like calvus heads.
Are they breeding size at 1.25" or do I have to have some patience?

I have one that acts like a male, claiming a territory in the middle of the tank.

There are some slight size differences but I am not sure if they are age or sex. I was hoping to get 6 but there were only 4 available so there is a 1 in 8 chance of having all the same sex, but if I had to guess I would say I have 2 of each. I will try to post some pics.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Its hard to tell if they are not in the same photo to view differences.. In my experience they usually breed at male 2" and female at 1.5" if these fish are from the same colony and you have bigger and smaller ones chances are that you have both sexes just be patient and they will reward you soon enough also make sure you have 3 shells per fish and when your done just throw in a couple more shells never hurts to have extras..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store