Sick fantail?! Help please!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nebula23

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
Hey there!
I have been keeping goldfish since I was 11 years old, I am now 18. I have had only one goldfish die since I have started, but I was away on vacation and was not able to see what was wrong with her, my mom was taking care of the tank. She was a telescope moor named Nebula, hence the username, and she was 6 years old. I had just recently switched to a bigger filter system, and made a large tank change, so I assumed that the mixture of old age and stress may have done her in.
Now I have an issue with my now 6 year old fantail. It seems as if it has taken a dramatic turn for the worse since some recent changes that have been made:
1. I am off to college, therefore my younger brother has taken over my room (quite spacious and gorgeous... :cry:) and my 29gal tank was left in his care as I have been super busy with no time to move it. My brother may have a green thumb, but when it comes to pets, he is completely useless. He has forgotten to turn on their light, feed them, etc. With me out of the house so often lately on final trips with high school friends, I have not been able to monitor them as I usually do. I did do a few water changes, etc. But I will admit that they have been somewhat neglected by me. I am so ashamed:( So my point here is, they have been exposed to some severe routine changes and have been left to my brother's insensitivity. (I know I'm not the only one who can spend an hour talking to her fish!!)
2. A neighbor recently decided that they wanted to get rid of their calico, so I decided that I would give it a home. While at work, the neighbor decided to drop it off to my parents. I had no knowledge of this, nor did I have any idea that my parents would just plop the fish right into the tank. My mom did monitor the fish for a few hours, but I feel it probably was not the best idea. I unfortunately was not around to monitor the fish-retarded parents! The new fish and this (now) sick fish got along great and followed each other everywhere.
3. Lastly, my mother has been nagging and nagging to move my aquarium out of my brother's room and into my living room. So today (8/10/2010) I moved the tank up a few flight of stairs, so I was required to take out all of the water. I washed the glass, but just rinsed the rocks to keep a small level of bacteria (hopefully) I also scrubbed the algae off the decorations and replaced my filter media. I moved the tank and filled it with room temperature water and ran the filter for about 20 minutes before adding my fish back into the tank. This was a very large move, and I understand that the fish can be highly stressed with such a dramatic water change.

I then left for work, and upon returning I was told that my goldfish was stuck in the same spot since I had left. She had been swimming when I left. I also observed that my fish seems to be "gasping" for oxygen. So I added an air stone, but it does not seem to be helping. My oldest fish is now a lump in the corner of the tank, and I don't know why! I am so nervous she is going to die. I have noticed tumors on its eye (they are not a mucous, they are a mass of cells) I checked with a local vet and explained it and she agrees that it is probably a tumor. This fish has always been dramatic, even a 25% water change freaks it out and it will throw, what I like to call, a "fit", but this is the most dramatic I have ever seen it, and I do believe there is a bigger problem. I am going to post pictures in hopes that that will give a better idea of what is going on. If someone has any idea what it could be I would be soo grateful. I do believe that it could be stress and old age (this is old for a fish that an inexperienced 12 year old bought!), but I'm not sure if there is anything I can do. Please, please , please help!

ammonia- 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0 (but I JUST did a complete change of water, filter media, and rinsed out the rocks)

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Unfortunately, it's sounds like your fish are suffering ammonia poisoning. The addition of the comet could easily have caused an ammonia spike by adding to the bioload of the tank. And the cleaning/rinsing of the tank and decor and replacement of the filter media almost certainly made things worse by destroying most or all of your beneficial bacteria. Now the tank is probably having to cycle all over again. You will need to do a lot of water changes — at least one WC every day — to get through it without losing fish.

FYI, fish really aren't drama queens. Strange behavior after a water changes can be a sign of stress (physical not emotional) caused by difference in water parameters — and fish that are physically stressed can quickly fall prey to infections, disease etc. It would help to know how often you do WC and how you prepare the new tank water?

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
H2Ogal there's no comet goldfish in the tank :) H2Ogal is probably right about you killing all the bacteria in the tank and as suggested you need to do a lot of water changes. With that many goldfish in such a small tank I imagine it will be hard to keep the water params steady. Hope your goldfish make it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Curious....does it look a bit small for a 6 yr old fancy..? Are you using a liquid test kit?

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Oops. I meant the new calico (fantail?) not comet. Bad typing fingers! Bad! :)

:nono:Bad H2Ogal bad bad!:p: They kinda look like Ryukins to me but by no means am I a goldfish expert.

Nebula23

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
The goldfish is 5 1/2 years old. I got her in the winter of 2005. I have done liquid tests, but the ammonia level is fine? That's why I was confused because I didn't think it could be that. Should I put it in a hospital tank? And there is no need to be mean, by drama queen, I mean that this particular fish does not respond well to ANY changes, even an addition of a plant. I know my fish well, and this fish is always a stress mess. It was merely a figure of speech. I said nothing about emotions. I look at my goldfish as people, not merely a number in a tank. That is all I meant by it. My fish seems to be getting worse. I plan on doing a water change everyday. The tank is a 29gal? I was told it was fine for those fish. As for the breed of the other fish, it was given to me just recently and they are not fish people and did not know what it was, I put it as a calico fantail possibly.

Nebula23

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks so much for everyone's input so fast! I appreciate it so much! Off to do a water change!

Nebula23

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
I do water changes 1 - 2 times a week, I leave the water sitting out until it is at room temperature treat it with water conditioned. Should I be doing more? I was told that with my filter I should be okay with that many, but let's be honest, sometimes those petsmart people, aren't so smart...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store