How much aquarium glass bending/bowing is acceptable?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Corn-Picker

AC Members
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I have about 70-80 pounds of sand and 36 pounds or rock in my 30 gallon All Glass aquarium. I notice when I put a straight edge along the top length of the aquarium, the glass is bowed out about a 16th of an inch.

I looked at my girlfriends aquarium and it looks about the same way... How much bowing should I be worried about?

Also, how long is the life of a fish tank. I know glass is a fluid substance prone to change over time, but how long is the working life of an aquarium?

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
Is the rock leaning up against the glass wall? I think it is suggested to stack it so it doesn't lean on the glass. 1/16th of an inch doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me, I don't see how you could prevent that little of a bow. Some one with more experience will chime in to say for sure though.

I don't know how long the working life of the glass in the aquarium. The silicone fails first, but that is easily redone. I know several people who have old tanks and don't have any problems, so I wouldn't be to worried about the life of the tank. If you did have to replace the glass in the future you will probably be so addicted to the hobby that you'll just upgrade tanks! :)

Corn-Picker

AC Members
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by M-pire
Is the rock leaning up against the glass wall? I think it is suggested to stack it so it doesn't lean on the glass. 1/16th of an inch doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me, I don't see how you could prevent that little of a bow. Some one with more experience will chime in to say for sure though.
I think the problem is that when I pay too much attention to my tank, I start to get paranoid about everything :D

I made sure that my rocks are not touching the glass. I can't wait for the tank to finish its cycle, it stinks to high hell right now when I take the rocks out to scrub the white film off of them..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store