tank suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I rehomed my goldfish and now have my tank up and running. Tested the water and everything is coming along great :) I have a ten gallon that will be Tatsu's undivided tank. With his personality I can keep things with him ... tested him with a guppy and he didn't even attack her.

Maybe Otto cats or dwarf corys? Any suggestions will be researched just to be sure. I also have tons of hiding places and plants and a well aerated and maintained tank. I added a few ghost shrimp in just to clean up the ammonia has come down to about .1 ppm which i was told was safe for them

I will not be getting anything else until I am settled into the dorm :) Tatsu is doing great and just a little longer and he will be in his big tank :)

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
With you being a college dorm student, I think you should not add anymore fish. If you have compatibility issues, you'll either have to return or rehome more fish. Tatsu will be perfectly content to explore a well planted 10g. This will also make tank management easier for you during school.

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I suggests some kind of cories (4-5 is a good number) and maybe African Dwarf Frogs. ..

Or maybe some 4-5 neon tetras? I know some places say they may not mix with Bettas' but I put Cardinal Tetras with my Alpha Betta and they are fine.. and soo pretty together. (see my sig ;)

Keep in mind, there is a 'possibility' Tatsu may become more aggresive as he ages, especially with long-finned fish like Guppies.. but then, I have guppies in with my bettas and it is fine..

Glad to hear Tatsu is doing good!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I agree, he may TOLERATE the guppies now but eventually he'll tire of them. He may not attack them but the guppies could be stressed and that will cause problems for them

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I just read FishyCat's post after I posted.. I agree with her too.. don't add too much to make sure you have time to maintain it. More fish = more poo = more cleaning.

That being said, I have a 10 gallon at work, and have no issues with it's schedule, so as long as you keep it to a tad understocked, I would think it would be fine. :)

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I would want fish with a low bioload so weekly water changes would work since i have four free days during the week... sat , sun th, tues, i'll have time for normal maintenance :) esp since we have a bathroom in our dorm. Your right cories would be cute :) and or/ adf's ... Depends what wont overstock the tank

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Out of cories and adf, I'd go with adfs. They are super fun to watch...especially when they go "zen'' and I believe they compliment a betta pretty well.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
LOL thanks :) ADF's it is then :) two in fact ... and that will keep the tank a little understocked too :) Just have to wait a while til i have the money and its set up at college so they dont have to deal with the ride

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I had a betta and an ADF in a 15 gal tank, they got along great for about a month then one day I came home and there were frog legs sticking out of the mouth of the betta.

Just be ready for something to happen.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I had a betta and an ADF in a 15 gal tank, they got along great for about a month then one day I came home and there were frog legs sticking out of the mouth of the betta.

Just be ready for something to happen.

Your betta must have had a mighty big mouth lol

OP make sure you get true ADF's and not ACF's or else you will have BIG problems on your hands.

I've kept the combo before with no problems, I highly suggest the tank to be heavily planted with plenty of hiding spots for the adf's. Also you are going to probably need a turkey baster for spot feeding as they cannot see very well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store