Mudskipper transportation issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

donald432

AC Members
Jan 28, 2010
california
I am about to move. I am going to bring my remaining mudskippers with me. What is the safest way to move two mudskippers about 450 miles? The are not going to be re-homed. They aren't going to die. I love my fish, so I am bringing them with me. But how?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
How are you traveling?

SalmonAfrica

Say what now?
Aug 28, 2009
Johannesburg, South Africa
www.instagram.com
Real Name
Tim
Use a small cooler box. Put a little bit if water from your tank in the box - just enough to get the bottom fins of the mudskippers wet - and the add then mudskippers. Make sure the lid is closed properly.

They're extremely tough little fish, they will travel quite well. The most important thing is keeping them wet, which is why you have that water.

Good luck

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Wow...that's a long drive. I'm no expert but I would make sure there were really large holes in the container so they'd get lots of air and guessing, no large temperature fluctuations and maybe don't feed them the day you move so they won't be sitting in their own waste. I know absolutely nothing about mudskippers but this is what I would do personally, if I had any and had to move that far away. I'm sure someone on here with more experience will help you out. Good luck :)

donald432

AC Members
Jan 28, 2010
california
so the current plan involves moving the tank with the fish in it. we're going to remove most of the water and get adapters for the car lighters (there are two) so that we can keep the heater and the filter plugged in. is there a safer way to do this? via mail?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Best bet would be a cooler, as mentioned above. The cooler will hold the water temp better. You can put as much water in as you want, as mudskippers are still fish and swim just fine. More water volume will dilute waste and hold temperature better. That is only a few hours' drive, so they should be fine for that amount of time. Best possible scenario would be to have a tank set up and waiting for them when you arrive, but that may not be possible.

donald432

AC Members
Jan 28, 2010
california
Thank you everyone for your input and advice! The skips were pretty pissed when the move was over, the smaller one had a little bit of damage to one of her fins (not the dorsal fin thank god), but other than that, the move went smoothly. They have been in their new location for about two days now and have regained all of their former color and vigor, both started eating again the yesterday.

As I said,
Thanks!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
So what method did you end up using? Might be useful for anyone else with the same situation.

donald432

AC Members
Jan 28, 2010
california
i moved them in their aquarium with almost no sand, no tank decorations, and about an inch and a half of water. (i used so little water because the last time we moved them they spent the majority of the time on the only stable surface available - my friends hand! i figured a small beach would be sort of a substitute for that.) we insulated it with about six layers of blankets on all sides, and put a piece of white cardboard over everything to reflect as much sunlight as possible. we tied it down tightly. the whole set up was positioned right behind the cab. the truck was packed so that the fish stand, aquarium, and all of the fish stuff was the first to be unloaded upon arrival.

thanks again, i wouldn't have put as much thought into insulation otherwise, i appreciate it.

donald

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
We've moved fish way further than that. Never had losses.

5g bucket w/ lid, a converter to plug a small heater into, and a battery powered bubbler. Works great. Lots of people move fish without even that much, but I choose to be on the safe side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store