Pygmy cory spawn =)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
I just set up a new tank for my pygmy cory, they were in a 20tall with krib fry/juvies and they just weren't happy. So I broke out the 12 gallon and redid the lighting again. And within a 2wks they spawned!

you can see a baby krib in the picture. He was trapped in a filter, I had him in the tank to strengthen him up but he started to attack the eggs, little crazy guy. I only see a few eggs but I'm sure they will be more. I don't intend to isolate the eggs, I'm going to just let them do their thing since it is a cory only tank. I love these cories but they sure are timid. Only reason I found the eggs were because I was doing a snail check in the tank.

DSC_0801 (2).JPG DSC_0803.JPG DSC_0804.JPG

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Oh man, those are so cute... I agree, FTS please! + more pygmy cory pics, there are not enough of them to go around.

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
It's a school of 8 pygmy cories I got from the LFS for some kribs I traded in.

Tank temp is 78ish degrees, Ph 8, my water is super hard probably liquid rock on the scale. I do 50% water changes a week, I turn off the filter daily when I feed them. thats about it. The tank is still pretty bare plants need to grow in and I need to add a few more things.

What do ya think about leaving the eggs and fry in there?

DSC_0809 (2).JPG DSC_0809.JPG

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for the additional info!
I'm getting some pygmy cory soon, and I'd love it if they bred.
I've read on several forums that it's ok to leave the eggs in with them.
I've also read that someone literally watched an adult Hastatus (as similar a fish to the Pygmaeus as one can find) eat a newborn.
So that's all the info I have about it.

Good luck, and please keep this thread updated! I'll be watching!

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
thanks for the post I will keep it updated though I don't have high hopes for the fry, I believe some members of AC have had lots of trouble with raising fry. I just have the time right now, but I will keep an eye out

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! You can keep the eggs and fry in the tank, but you're going to need some very dense thickets of plants like java moss. They'll eat the microorganisms out of the moss and they still want cover even if they are safe with the parents. Keep us posted on the progress....and lots of pics!

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
thanks for the post all! Glad to see you post also Debbi I know you have great experience with most cories.

The egg on the glass was gone the next morning but the one on the leaf stayed for another day. No signs of fry, I do have some moss in there I might redo the tank. I added more anubias but that's about it so far.

Just wanted to update and post a pic of one of the cories I took not too long ago looking at it now I can see she was gravid at the time of the pic IMO.

Copy of Copy of DSC_0629 (Large).JPG

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
too awesome, congrats on the spawn and keep the updates coming

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store