Wild caught bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009
First of all I know its a terrible idea to put wild caught temperate fish into a tropical aquarium HOWEVER, my aquarium temp is @ 78°F and the private lake I caught it was @ 74°F, temperatures don't drop below 66°F at the lake. My water is fine, I checked the water of the tank with a PH of 6.9, ammonia 0. nitrites nada, nitrates checked out fine, I qt'd my bass and sunfish, used some anti parasite stuff and some aquarium salt.

Second, I tried MFK, they simply said stick it in front of the filter outtake to present the worm better.

My sun fish are fine, coming up to eat with the rest of my fish. Since I know the bass will not accept flake food I tried worms. I didn't expect him to eat them the first day even though I offered some. I tried again, cutting the worms to various lengths too, tried presenting it in different fashions, but nothing. I dropped a wood mite (rollypoley looking thing) in though and he snatched it up.

Additional info
My tank is 120 gallons, tank mates are:
4 giant ganios (2ish inches long)
10 fat Serpae tetras (1.5ish inches long)
5 clown loaches (1.25ish inches long)
1 pictus cat that hides all day but is really active at night (2.5")
3 small gold gouramis (1.25ish inches)
1 large gourami (4 inches)
1 12" pleco
2 sunfish (2.5ish inches long)

the bass is about 3 inches long, smaller than my old gourami, no one is dead, no fin nipping. My bass flipped out a little when my pleco glided past him, but he should be fine. My gold gouramis has been "feeling" all of the newcomers with there whisker things, not sure why. I was suggested to buy feeders, but my LFS has been known to have parasite infested feeders. I might try female guppies or ghost shrimp depending on if they are sold within a 5 mile radius. I really don't want to make weekly runs to a fish store to buy 2 dozen feeders again (my gars were hungry devils).

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
Do yourself a favour and don't release them again now that they have been in your aquarium.

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009
I know that rule, I understand that I do not want to release anything from my tank into the wild as it might have something that could decimate a wild population.

I tried another trick, I grabbed some spare mono line and tied a worm on it tight enough to hold it, but loose enough that a fish could pull it out (no hook, just line) and jiggled the worm around. At first a sunfish swooped in a and grabbed the end of it. My bass flew from across the tank and snatched it up and gobbled it down. There is a nice bulge in his tummy now. :dance2:

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
He might like Frogs or Leeches for a snack, my buddies bass loves frogs.

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009
Hmm

You never thought of this before you got the fish?
I've had predatory fish in the past, most would rush for worms before they sink much further than a 1/2" down, some had to be put on alternate live food though. I have never had a wild caught fish, but from what I read before hand they eat insects and worms just fine.

Now that it has eaten though I can rest easy knowing I have a well fed fish for now. I think in the mean time I should start up a ghost shrimp farm again. I'd imagine my wild caught fish are a bit more messy in terms of digestion, fortunately my filteration system is extremely good.
I guess I learned that wild caught fish need a few days to adjust to tank life, and as such need special attention.

Pooshybear

AC Members
Jun 11, 2009

shows the bulge, also my danio is very close to the camera, hes about a inch shorter than the bass.

blurry, I know.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You do realize that the peace and harmony you're enjoying now will be short-lived right? The Bass will own your tank inside of a year, unless the Sunfish kill it quickly!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store