Assassin snail efficiency?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jajabinx89

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry.. wasn't sure how to phrase it.. but I'm thinking about keeping MTS in my tank, and I guess my basic plan was to order assassin snails as a back-up in case they start overpopulating (I'd only buy them if my MTS over-breed). I also was thinking about keeping a single golden apple snail in the tank (which species was it that only eats the decaying plant matter/ not live plants?) So I guess my question is this..

If I got a single assassin snail, would it completely wipe out my MTS population or only keep it under control (or would I need more??) And also.. what size would my golden apple snail need to be in order to be safe from the assassin snail (Or would the assassin snail try to harm it anyways)?

Thanks for looking!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
As for the apple snails, you want pomacea diffusa (formerly bridgesii) also known as the "mystery" snail. If you got a single assassin, it would help to keep your mts under control but it wouldl be a risk to your apple snail. Its unlikely it would kill it, but I did have my assassins attack a full grown apple snail (golf ball sized) despite them having ample pest snails in the tank.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
If you don't over feed, you won't need an assassin snail. If you like them, go for it but if you don't over feed your tank, the MTS will not over-populate.

jajabinx89

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Razzle that's plan A for me.. but I was wondering what my other options were if I couldn't keep everything under control. But yes preferably I'd like keep them under control without having to use an assasin snail. And msjinkzd, I had heard of groups of assassin snails attacking larger snails (like apples) but I was wondering if a single assassin snail would still attempt to hurt a large snail, and it's sounds like you're saying they would.. so I guess I'm just going to make sure I can keep the mts population under control before I get a pomecea diffusa. I looove those cute golden ones ^_^ Hah.. I just thought of a name for one.. the Golden Snitch . Hmm yes, I like it!

Thanks!!

svaha

AC Members
Dec 12, 2007
Venus ,Texas
stormmaile.bravehost.com
I started with 5 assasins in a 10g tank with a few rasboras.Dont know how many are there now has just been a few months,but I add rams horns every week 5-10 whatever I can grab easily out of the 70g, there are never any left within a week,so they seem pretty good at their job.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I don't know if a single assassin would try and mess with a larger apple snail. My point is I would never keep snails I want to keep alive in with an assassin as they are what they are, snail killing snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store