15 gallon - Southeast Asian Biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Hey everyone

For the last few months, the 15 gallon (24x12x12") I used to have tiger barbs in was empty. A few days ago, I decided to make an Asian biotope for kuhli loaches, just because they seem quite awesome. So I spent a few days collecting rocks looking for my old equipment. I started setting it up yesterday afternoon and finished in the evening. 2/3 of the filter media is from my running 120 gallon, and 1/3 is new. There's an old female paradise fish in there and a school of black neons (both temporary), to maintain the beneficiall bacteria while I look for fish for the next week or so.

Here's the tank (I know, dirty):

Equipment coming out of retirement (15 watt bulb):

Decor:

The tank with the substrate (has a bunch of root tabs in there for crypts) and a failed hardscape:

Planting (3 Cryptocoryne wendtii):

Filled:

It looks kind of empty (plant-wise). Should I get more crypts? Or maybe Java Fern? Eventually, I want 6-10 kuhli loaches in there, and either some small anabantoids or a school of nano fish (hard to get though). What do you think?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I think some vals or another tall plant in the back left corner would really fill the tank out.

As for stocking, I would definitely go with some sort of smaller, schooling fish to add some activity to the midwater area. If you can't find any nano fish like microrasboras or CPDs maybe a smaller group of cherry barbs (5-6?) would work.

I really like the hardscape so far though. Nice job!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Pretty neat! I like the suggestion for CPD. Kuhlis are awesome, a biotope around them is a great idea. Looking forward to updates!

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
I think some vals or another tall plant in the back left corner would really fill the tank out.
Coincidence, I have a big bunch of Giant Vallis in a tub. Only thing is, I don't think the big/wide leaves would really fit in. But who knows? I'll try tomorrow.

Hmm... I saw CPD's in a LFS about a year ago. Since then, I've bever seen them in a store. I'll try to look around. I was thinking about Sparkling Gouramies as well, I like how they look, but I haven't seen them around either.

Anyway, thanks so far :)

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Woohoo!

Finally found a place with khulis, got 8 of them:

They spend most of their time under the piece of driftwood:

I'm planning to get some bigger crypts and maybe use my vallis in there.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Ok I did a little rescape. I didn't notice the kuhlis under the wood so when I picked it up they went crazy, swimming all over the tank, one actually bumped into the paradise fish, and she (the paradise fish) got pretty ticked off and started chasing them =D

FTS (bit cloudy):

The 'crypt mound':

Kuhlis (they seem to love the driftwood):

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store