URGENT! Bearded Dragon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I just aquired a bearded dragon from a friend who doesn't want it any more and it is UBER thin. One can see it's spine all the way through it's tail. It is very lethargic and is just sleeping. I tried to force feed it some cut up tomatoes and he ate those but I did the same with some mealworms and he isn't swallowing them. I soked him is warm (not hot) water for a few minutes and wrapped him in a warm towel and set him under one of the lights. I don't know what else to do!!!!! I don't want him to choke on the mealworms but I don't know how to get them out. I would be heart broken if he were to die..............

Please help!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Well he got the mealworms down while I was typing this up but I am still at a loss for what to do!

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
Baby food. Try that and slowly feed something easy to digest when he can handle it.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
Baby food. Try that and slowly feed something easy to digest when he can handle it.
That sounds like excellant advice! Do vets treat lizards? I'd get him right to the vet if they do! I hope it's not too late for him, poor thing and poor you! It sounds like you've done everything right. Good Luck...:(

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
There may be a clinic nearby that is willing to treat exotic pets and reptiles. Do a google search if you need one. It's always a good idea to know where you can get professional help locally.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I will try the baby food.

Thank you for your kind words, I hope he pulls through.

There used to be a reptile/ exotic animal clinic about an hour away but it has since closed.

I got him a new, bigger light fixture with a 125 watt UVA/ UVB Mercury vapor bulb to help with digestion and bone health and increase the overall temp of the tank.

RocoRude

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
The best way to bulk up your beardy, is to not over feed him. I mean, there isn't a lot you can do in this situation. My old beardy wouldn't eat when I fed him, and he'd lose his livelyness. The only thing I can suggest is give him lost of sunlight, and try calcium powder. If you're going to feed him crickets, or anything live that eats, GUT LOAD THEM. Just feed them the best vegatables you've got, and that will give your beardie the most nutirents it can get. Make sure he has lots of water too. Don't handle him too much at the moment though. He's obviously very fragile, and ill. It just seems like he's malnurished, so just keep and eye on him. Don't force him to eat unless he goes like two days without eating. You can feed him strawberries... And parsley. Beardies LOOOOOVE Parsley!

Please let me know his condition over the next few days. I LOVE beardies so much, and I was extremely sad to see mine go. I hate the thought of reptiles being sick, or any animal for that matter.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Thanks for the sugestions. I will certainly keep you updated.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
............... The dragon died sometime today.......... I had been feeding baby food and keeping him warm but he was too far gone......... It's heart breaking and I feel really bad about it.......... Thank you all for your help.......... :(

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
You did what you could to help him, and that's what matters. Sorry you lost him

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store