Rescaping with Rocks... Need Ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

agp

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
USA
Hey guys,

I took out the driftwood in my tank today because they have been making the water yellow, and it's just not worth the hassle doing extra water changes and boiling them every once in a while. I'm putting in Eco-Complete as a new substrate and have lots of rocks large and small, and I want to decorate the tank with them. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions for themes or how to decorate?

Last edited:

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
There's a lot of interesting rock hardscapes out there. Check this site out for instance: http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_portfolio These are aquariums of pure awesomness. Some of the rockscapes in there look like real miniature mountains.

I also tried a scape with rocks yesterday in my 15 gallon:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Nice layout, waldo. Looks very natural.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Over time the yellow effect from the driftwood would decrease even with a normal water change regimen. So you could probably consider keeping it, if you like how it looks.

As for a new scape, do you have a picture of the current layout?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Experiment and post some shots of different arrangements....

agp

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
USA
Here are some before and afters. I'm taking suggestions on rearrangements. Here are what I have, in case anyone wants to know: Aquaclear 20, 26W lights at 5500K (couldn't find anything between 6000K and 10000K), Eco-Complete, 100W heater, Nutrafin CO2 system.

Before:

Now:

In the corner: heater, CO2 thing, water wisteria, E. densa, L. repens. Foreground: DHG

In the corner: R. wallichii, L. repens, E. densa, C. parva.

agp

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
USA
Thank you, but I'm doubting my decision on the water wisteria... The big leaves really don't go well with any other plant. I think I may put more E. densa or L. repens in their place. And I might replace the R. wallichii with plants that are of lower-maintenance or plants that aren't as messy. Thoughts?

TLe041

AC Members
Jan 17, 2010
Canada
That looks great.

If you're trying to grow a dwarf hairgrass carpet, try to separate the clumps into small bundles of 2-3 plantlets. It's a tedious job, but you'll have plants with healthier roots and it'll fill in faster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store