how many orange mollies in a 37 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
now that would be telling
how many of the little orange or dalmation or black colored mollies would go well in a 37 gallon tank. i am talking about agression and general space not fish per gallon. since fish per gallon for waste can be made up with a larger sump yeah?

the tank is Brackish sg 1.008 - 1.012 fluxuating right now it is at 1.010.

i am finishing up the recycling of the tank and planing ahead. there is ghoast shrimp in there more to come :) and a violet goby but he is only in there till he out grows it and he doesn't move much plus he lives on the bottom so i figgure since my tank is a "tall" variety the mollies would have free run of the mid to top water except for when the goby guy get a wild hair and sticks on the glass up high.

the tank is like 24 inches tallis x 30 inches long and 12 deep.

Last edited:

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
that was kinda helpful

that was kinda helpful thank you :)

according to that web page i could keep 20 ghost shrimp 1 young *mine is* dragon goby and like 12 mollys.

now my tank is a 37 gallon 30x12 foot print. the filtratrion will be upped shortly would 12 mollys run into each other in the tank or would they physically fit. physical fitment was is my main consern. i mean i could always go an make a 100 gallon sump for a 10 gallon tank but that doesn't mean that i would be able to keep my violet goby in that set up if you follow me.

sorry if i sound wierd i just want to do right for my pets. AAAANNND have an appealing tank for me and my family :clap:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Keep in mind that mollies are going to be breeding...the goby might pick some off but expect some to survive. I'd probably do a group of 5-6 with only 1 or 2 males to start.

Also remember that most mollies found in stores are going to be accustomed to FW and you'll need to make sure that you transition them well to BW.

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
yeah that was going to be my next question would be what is the min number of mollies to start breeding *with out them suffering from in breeding* if it was too high i would just start and stop with a group of females. if it was like 10 - 15 then would think about breeding them for more than crawdad snacks or other feeder applications.

also i don't think the violet goby will eat thier fry. i have heard it doesn't at least if it does then great free food never hurts but as of right now he is either too well fed to eat the curent bought wrongly for food ghost shrimp or he doesn't like to eat them.
either way it is cool since this is his tank :)

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
haha well right now i am on a green kick.

i think i might have been too much of a redneck and stubborn for the latest round of brain washing to turn me green i just started liking the color green :)

or mabey it is just living in a desert where every thing is brown.

but i am thinking of decorating the tank with a mandrake root and some fake turtle bladey looking grass with some floating fake plants on top and a root/ swamp looking picture for the back ground. for the tank with some black and orange mollies in it and my goby :) oh yeah and a skull.

any way any tips on how to grow that great looking bright green moldy stuff with out a super bright light? the goby don't like the current bright light.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
carpenter -- that landscape isn't "brown," it's "beige"

the tank sounds like fun. 12 mollies shouldn't feel crowded in your tank; they're a pretty gregarious lot. I'd start with 2 males and 4-6 females). orange mollies are probably going to start out fairly inbred anyway -- less so the blacks and dalmations if you go that way -- and multiple fish from the same source (especially in 1 buy) are going to be related, so you might consider seeing if you can get some from 2 different sources.

since you really don't have a predator in there, (the gobie can't swallow anything but the youngest fry even if he could somehow see and catch them) a lot of the molly fry will survive even if you have no floating plants for them to hide in. if this gets to be a problem, think about adding a more aggressively carnivorous fish down the road.

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
beige huh?

lol so you've been unfortuenate enough to be down here huh? and i mean down here lowest point in california well other than death valley great company huh?

so i went into petco and saw some gorgeous silver lyretail mollies they for want of a better word "captivated me" i have seen pic on the net but they didn't do the species justice.

also the black lyretail mollies were beutiful too. i think i am gonna get some of the silver and mabey some blacks. could produce some gorgeous fry potentially.

and i have a vicious merceless garbage disposal of an animal *well it's my daughters* a crawdad LOL. but seriously i made the mistake of trying to keep one with fish and yeah i know know they like fish as much as long john silver does. so being as the craw dad is a crawdad and a pet it is my garbage disposal. dead ghost shrimps terminal fish all good to him :)

and yeah i know my goby can't eat any thing more than some shrimp pellets my ghost shrimps were bought for him to eat *thanks for that misinformation wallymart* and now they just sit by his gills when he eats and pick up the left over bits he spits out while eating. quite comical really.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store