help fat synondontis.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
i bought a synondontis eupterus 2 wks ago, and i realised this morning hes got a really distended belly...... he doesnt seem to be displaying any other symptoms, and is happily grazing the tank....

does anyone know of any potential prob this may be???

(29g, temp 25C, ph 6.4, gh 7, nitrAtes 40ppm, kh 0 (im trying to raise kh with crushed coral, water round here is so soft and acidic...)

or is it hes just done an elvis at feeding time and eaten all the burgers???(ill be so embarrassed if thats it..:eek: )

thanks

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Im not sue if your has a problem or not. I know when I only had 1 Syd. petricola in the 60 gallon tank (now I have 3) he and the 2 YOYO loaches would EAT. They were BOTH fat... but since then I added more fish, so they dont eat as much. Now they dont have a weight problem.. :)

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Some synos get very fat. S shoutedeni is a prime example. They end up looking like a golf ball then a tennis ball with fins. Although I have 6 types of synos I have never had eupterus. I can tell you that of the ones I do have there are always some that are much plumper then the rest. Unless the fish stops eating, or acts lethargic or shows other signs of illness I would say he or she is just really plump. Do a few extra water changes and see what happens. I think it is just a fat cat though. On a side not I hope you realize that the tank you have is too small for the long term care of this cat. They get up to 15cm (6 inches) and really like a lot of swimming space. Some will disagree with me on this point I am sure but I think he should have something in the 55 gallon range. Common name is Featherfin by the way.

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
hey DA,

the tank they're in isn't the permanent tank, im just looking and seeing if i can get a decent bigger one 2nd hand.......
im going for a 4ft, or if i can get it a 5ft...

(55g is a 4ft right??)

have you seen the picture mojo posted of his featherfin???

thanks...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store