Red Ceibal...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kalen

AC Members
May 28, 2010
Eastern Kentucky
Real Name
Kalen
They're a Uruguayan cichlid which means they don't get imported too often, so you will probably have a hard time finding them. When I have found them avaliable they have been between $5-$15 a piece at 1". They will also need to be kept at cooler temperatures and need an even cooler "wintering" period for about three months out of the year. From what I have read they're also pretty docile until they spawn, then they can become highly aggressive. Hope this helps.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have a brood of oblongum fry growing out, they're about 1" and large enough to ship now. They're smaller, more colorful, and much less aggressive than the red ceibals. Even a spawning pair won't bother anything too large to eat, though on the other hand they aren't very effective at guarding their spawn from egg or fry-eating fish. Even Cory cats will eat their eggs if they spawn in a community tank.
They're rare in the hobby; aside from being from Uruguay, no one seems to be able to find them in the wild to collect more. The Australoheros aren't as critical of cooler temps as the Gymnogeophagus. They'll do fine in a tank with or w/out a heater, but don't seem to require the cooldown period.
Adult male:

Female:

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
toddnbecka;2439868They're rare in the hobby; aside from being from Uruguay said:
Hmmm I didn't know that. Is it people just arent finding them or not specifically targeting them? I'm actually going on a collecting trip in December down there and I am hoping to bring at least a pair back. I can't remember if we will be in an area specifically for A. sp "Red Ceibal" but I definitely want a pair of some kind of Australoheros.

FishAddictJulez

AC Members
Aug 17, 2010
Girard Pennsylvania
OK Todd.. I sent you a PM... Im going to check at the auction this weekend, but if I have no luck, plan on sending some my way!!

How many could I put in a 55g? I do water changes atleast twice a week... check water levels alot...

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
It's the oblongum that no one has been able to find, not the red ceibals. There are quite a few species of Australoheros, oblongum are the smallest (actually considered a dwarf chanchito) and are the mellow ones of the crowd. Males grow to about 5", females 4" max. Very strong pair-bonding fish, even when they aren't spawning the pair stays together and nobody gets beat up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store