I wanna make a mini betta paradise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
I decided to split a 10 gallon for two bettas. I already have the two. And the splitter. And I have a couple of questions. I might have to make a couple threads to get them all answered but I thought I would try just one first.

Should I get two filters, like two sponge filters. Or just one filter.

What kinda plants, rocks, decor? I lean towards tacky themes and random planting but if anyone has pictures of a mini aquascape that I could do I would love to see it. I really like this one Jaguar skull at petsmart. And then the mini dragons at Petco.

I could do the 10 g or a 15 high. What do you think. I don't want to stress my furniture though.

What lighting should I get for the hood? So the plants will be happy.

How long should I quarantine a new betta? Should I treat it with the prazipro I just got for treating my new goldfish?

Off topic my one betta Aang (the new one) is guarding his bubble nest while my older betta Kiss is displaying to the snail that is crawling on his java fern.

Amour

AC Members
Jun 23, 2010
Well I just have one word of advise. No plastic plants. Or anything with sharp edges that could potentially tear Mister Betta's fins. I learned this the hard way.

I have a ten gallon split in two with two bettas and one power filter works good for me.
I have mine baffled though.

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
The only plastic plants I like are the fake anemones. (prob because those are so tacky) And those would probably be fine for a betta. Otherwise I love me some real plants.

Betta Bob

AC Members
Jun 24, 2010
M.D.
My PK stays in a five gallon all by his lonesome with live plants. For a Betta I think this is a little closer to a paradise. Keeping two male Bettas next to each other like that would probably be stressful to them as they will view each other as intruders.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I have two boys split in a 10g and I bought the ready made divider that wasn't see through for it. This would work well for you or you could put some long plants next to the divider on either side and make a "curtain'' that way.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Bally has I think a 20L divided for 3 boys - see here. I believe it's plastic canvas which is found in most craft stores. it's like firm thick mesh. there's some visibility, but not like a clear divider. You can also, like Juice said, place plants around the divider on both sides so the open swimming space will be away from each other. A divided 10g is perfect for two males.

Plants that bettas love: nearly all! My guys particularly seem to enjoy anubias of all sizes, crypts & dwarf sag. I'd go for a couple different plants, one with height, one with large leaves for resting, etc.

You can use a HOB (with a plastic bottle baffle if it's too strong) for the whole tank. I'd recommend an Aqua Clear 10 because they have adjustable speeds and are reliable. I know the Aquatech 5-15 does not have adjustable flow, not sure about other brands.

re: lights. the standard fluorescent tube light in most 10g hoods is a 15w. This should be fine for anubias, java fern, dwarf sag & crypts. You may have better results buying the fluorescent tubing which says for plants - look for 6500k spectrum or something similar. Again, the stock light will also be just fine for the low light plants.

I personally don't QT, but I have read that it's recommend to do so at least 2 weeks if not 3. This would give you time to get everything sorted out for the guys! :)

Please post up pics - feel free to start a thread to document things (and ask questions if needed) as you go :) we love those.

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
I'll do some sort of photo journal as soon as I can get my hands on a tank. I really want to do a 15 tall and only fill it up 10 gallons so I can still have some lucky bamboo in their which is my favorite plant. Also Kiss seems to enjoy his bamboo plant and rests near it and likes to spin around it.

So would an under gravel filter be okay? The hang on the back kind wouldn't be able to reach the water if I only filled it up 2/3

SweetieAngel

AC Members
Jun 12, 2010
My aqua-tech 5-15 filter that is on my ten gallon doesn't have an adjustable flow but if you keep the water at the recommended level there isn't a strong flow but if there was I'm sure there would be some sort of DIY project that someone on here or on the Products & Equipment forum could help you with! Good luck and keep us posted!!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Personally, I'd go sponge filter. They're cheap! I'd get two Hydro-1 sponges (rated 10g, not very big-I have one) one for each side. Gently movement without much current. Or get a single one rated for over 10g, just to be safe.

If you use a thin layer of sand, you won't have to worry about gravel vacs - poop stays on top, making it a since to siphon out.

Juzah

AC Members
Feb 13, 2009
I agree with Fishycat, just a little cheap sponge filter will do the job.
Im using one which isnt strong enough to keep my tank immaculate, but it's sole purpose is to get light water disturbance into the tank, i do regular water changes to prevent toxic params.
**also agree on the anubis for plants comment ;p used to find my old betta laying on the leaves of a morning,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store