Loosing,fish,fast please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chrisstager

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Some back round info. I have years of experience with fresh water and took the salt water plunge a few months back. My ammonia-0 ph-8.4 salinity between .023 and .024 and nitrates stay around 20. I added a hippo tang a month back and after a week or so he was rubing hard on rocks separated him after giving him a fresh water dip and the rubing stoped but a week later he was swimming upside down and later died. A week later my naso tank was in the tank on his side and later died. Now my yellow tank started rubing a week ago fresh water diped him he stoped was eating fine and today he laying on his side and appearewd to be bleeding from his mouth. At close inspection i see many tiny black spots on him but very very small only visible once i took him out of tank and shined light on him. I'm guessing flat worm. Can any one help to save my other fish with some form of treatment

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Pretty common on tangs actually but not such fast death.

Try googling Turbellarian Flatworm (dig into different life stages of worm).

I dont think I ever lost tangs to such symptoms that fast but have lost tangs to Cryptocaryon/Amyloodinium in no time. Google these as well for comparison to determine possible cause(s).

Try Cupramine or if experienced, an ioninc copper (need Cu test kit) in hospital tank without any substrate OR tryHyposalinity (research a bit before attempting)!

Good Luck!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I know the feeling! Long quaranteeing new fish will definitely lessen the chances of any microbes/macrobes spreading from tank to tank.
Unfortunately, lfs/suppliers dont q/t on new shipments as they prefer to sell before any problems occurs in their tanks. Just my opnion!

I personally never dosed the whole tank unless absolutely necessary (once or twice) as all items in the tank (LR/Substrate/Ornaments) may absorb/adsorb copper, especiilay if have an intention of keeping inverts down the road.

Hope all goes well!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Black spots could be "Black Ich", (which is what Cerianthus was stating above) and does hit tangs hard. Also another common ailment for tangs is Flukes (another type of flatworm, but that doesn't sound like what yours had from your description), which requires a different type of medicine to take care of.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa041701.htm

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store